• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Trying to bring a 1000 back to life

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgwin

displayname
Marty A. Gwin
On a 1000:
Is the air filter housing to carb gasket still available? I looked on CCSpecialties, but could not find it. The parts lookup gave the # KH-47-041-02 superseded to #KH-45-041-07. Is this # correct?
It also has a replacement walbro carb on it, and I think the air filter housing is now too close to the engine. It is pressing against the choke cable a little.

I am mostly a narrow frame guy, and this is the first QL I have ever worked on. I am trying to get this 1000 running for a friend.
I told him I want to get it running before we start replacing other items. I hope I can, so I can order some goodies from Charlie and get it back in good shape.

On a 1000:
Is the air filter housing to carb gasket still available? I looked on CCSpecialties, but could not find it. The parts lookup gave the # KH-47-041-02 superseded to #KH-45-041-07. Is this # correct?
It also has a replacement walbro carb on it, and I think the air filter housing is now too close to the engine. It is pressing against the choke cable a little.

I am mostly a narrow frame guy, and this is the first QL I have ever worked on. I am trying to get this 1000 running for a friend.
I told him I want to get it running before we start replacing other items. I hope I can, so I can order some goodies from Charlie and get it back in good shape.

The KH-47-041-02 superseded to #KH-45-041-07 is only the gasket.

You dint look to hard. ;-P
1623012301988.png

Marty,
Would one of these help?

1F43ACC7-EE93-4411-803F-45538F6BDF0E.jpeg

I think they were called a heat isolator, instead of a thick carb gasket.

Charlie,
The gasket is all I need. The air cleaner housing (base &cover) is all there.

Jim,
That looks like the carb to engine gasket. I already have that. I need the gasket that goes between the air cleaner housing and the carb.

Yes. Carb to engine gasket. Is that the one you have? If you have a paper gasket, this may give you the clearance you need just by being thicker. It would move the air cleaner housing farther from the engine. Isn’t that the goal?

Jim,
The carb to engine gasket I have is the thick one.

I need part #4 in this pic. It is near the center of the pic just under the number 100. Part # KH 45-041-07

1623028666157.png

Last edited:
That gasket is just a thin paper one, sure ain't gonna move that cleaner housing out very much.
Easy enough to make with an exacto knife and a piece of gasket mat'l.
You sure the housing is not bent ?

I don't think it is.
I am thinking the replacement walbro carb is the reason for it being so close to the engine. The 1000 did not originally have a walbro carb did it?
I thought they were carter carbs. Like I said, I know little about these newer cubs.
I don't know a whole lot about the older ones either! :errrr:

Charlie,
I found it. You had it hidden. :bottom::roflol:
I feel better now.
After I get the 1000 running, I will have to take inventory on it and see what else it will need. I like spending someone else's money. :errrr:

David,
It is just pressing against the choke cable lightly, not much at all. I just wish it was not touching at all. I should be able to "tweak" it enough to get it away from the cable. A new gasket from Charlie will help some too. Not that big of an issue right now. Will address it when I get it running.

Hey Marty - I believe at some point Kohler changed the backing plate for the air cleaner cover. The original ones had a metal plate about 1/16" thick or maybe slightly less, tacked onto the back of the cover. It was roughly the same shape as the gasket you're getting. It almost looks like a metal gasket. The dang things would always pop loose from the backing plate and many people would just leave them off. Charlie doesn't show a pic of the back of the backing plate but I can tell from the pic it's not part of the newer or later design. Wish I had one to show you. Maybe someone with a QL unit that still has it on the back of the backing plate, will have his off and can post a pic. I never actually realized it probably provides just enough extra clearance for the cables.

Last edited:
Hey Marty - I believe at some point Kohler changed the backing plate for the air cleaner cover. The original ones had a metal plate about 1/16" thick or maybe slightly less, tacked onto the back of the cover. It was roughly the same shape as the gasket you're getting. It almost looks like a metal gasket. The dang things would always pop loose from the backing plate and many people would just leave them off. Charlie doesn't show a pic of the back of the backing plate but I can tell from the pic it's not part of the newer or later design. Wish I had one to show you. Maybe someone with a QL unit that still has it on the back of the backing plate, will have his off and can post a pic. I never actually realized it probably provides just enough extra clearance for the cables.

Hey Marty - I screwed up a little. That dang metal plate is actually on the inside of the backing plate, not the outside. Here's a pic showing the original style. Guess it really wouldn't change the mounting location since it's on the inside.
QL air cleaner (3).jpg

Ok Kraig, Oh Great One and Keeper of the Photos - I've said it before and I'll say it again. You're the Best.
I only ever screw up "a little". Never had a big screw up in my Life. I thought they were a couple times, but later decided they were little. :roflol:

That little typo was my first screw up for the year, made it all the way into June before screwing up!

pinocchio.gif

Had I typed that on my phone I could have, but I posted from my laptop and no auto correcting spell check.

I wonder what the H - - - happened to Marty. He hasn't responded at all since he ordered the gasket. He's usually johnny-on-the-spot with all kinds of reply posts.

Back