• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Truckin' and Trailerin' our Cub Cadets

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6 speed....10 speed gets mated with the 3.5EB for 2017

You will really like the 6 speed with the 5.0 engine. The only thing I don't like about mine is it will downshift to hold speed down to where cruise is set when descending a hill. My fuel mileage is around 21.3 and 22.9 if I use non ethanol fuel. When pulling a load the 5.0 just keeps asking for more.

This is my 2nd 5.0 and 6 speed. First was with a 3.55 rear based on my experience with the 5.4L. The 3.55 and 5.0L would hunt between 5th and 6th all of the time with the camper on. This time around I went with the 3.31 rear...better mileage, and now I can just lock 6th out with the camper on and let the 5.0 eat in 5th.

It needs RPM to come alive, so I figured the 3.31 would up the mileage and let me use more of the 6 speed for power.

BTW.....the 15mph "punch" is extremely rewarding with the 5.0L in the F-150. Stand on it right after you get enough speed not to cut the tires loose, and it will pull HARD in 3rd gear all the way to 80+ before you even realize it happened and sound great doing it!

A good friend and co-worker AND lifelong Chevrolet owner just bought a new Ford pickup. He was so impressed with all the features that he doesn't have any regrets. He said more room in the cab for everyone. And he loves the engine. I can't remember which engine he chose though.

Steve,

Nice truck, similar to Dad's truck. He has a 16 SuperCrew 4x4 2.7 EB..... he really likes the truck and the fuel economy!

Marlin,

I think Ford has always had more cab room. At least since the 80's. I've had both an 83 and a 92 Regular Cab Ford pickup, actually still have the 92. A buddy of mine has an 86 Regular Cab Chevy. I am a fairly big fella (6'4' ~350lbs), in the Ford's it is a bit tight between the steering wheel and seat, but I do fit and can fairly comfortably drive it. Now my buddies Chevy, I can't even get in the truck.... if I force myself in I can get in, but trying to steer is nearly impossible. It's bad enough it was here one day and I had my oldest son (6'2' ~175lbs) drive the Chevy back to my buddies house and I followed in my P71......I'll drive the Fords, but there is no way in the Chevy. I think the newer ones are a bit better, but I will stick with my Fords.... My Excursion is still my favorite though. (I think it's somewhere in this thread)

I think all the manufacturers are making the cabins smaller on everything. Dad's 16 is comfortable, and I would have no issue owning one for myself. But, when I was helping a good friend look at a newer vehicle, I looked at a number of the "larger" sedans, crossovers and smaller SUV's. In doing this, it showed my my P71 Crown Vic (or if I ever found and got a 10 or 11 down the road) will be the last car I will ever own. I can very comfortably fit and ride in it. Anything Explorer sized and down is just too snug for me to be comfortable in. My future Daily Driver will more than likely be an Expedition, Full Size Ford Pickup (I really like the 17 SuperDuty's) or depending on cabin room the yet to come Ranger/Bronco..... they just don't make anything comfortable for a bigger person. Even looking at a Chrysler 300, Taurus, or the Flex, the space between the door and console is not wide enough, and I have EXTREMELY broad shoulders and almost anything besides a truck with a fairly square shaped cabin, my shoulder hits the door before I get the door shut. I had a Neon a few years back, and after I hurt my back I refused to drive it. It was tight enough the door made me lean to the right in the seat just enough, after the 30 minute drive to work, I could hardly get out of the car and walk......

Ford F150 super crew cabs are HUGE! I'd rather pack the family in that than the wife's Flex!

I'm a pretty solid Chevy truck guy but was really disappointed in the new Silverado when I was truck shopping a couple years ago. Ended up checking out the F150 and was really impressed with the fuel economy, power and cabin room. Ended up buying a '16 3.5 ecoboost crew cab XLT and have about 30,000 miles on it. I really like this truck- about 20 mpg, tons of power, and the family loves the interior space. Only knock I have is it's not the greatest in the snow but that could be due to the factory tires. Hope to upgrade next year to one with the 10 speed. Nice truck Steve, really like the color combo!!

Scott has been talking about my truck for the past week so I guess I should show you what he is talking about. I got this last fall at the same time Steve had his plow day. It is a 2016 F150 Sport. Has the 2.7 V6 EB engine 6 speed auto. 325HP 375 torque. When I purchased the truck it came with soft P series car tires. Good for a car but not a truck. When pulling the trailer I had a lot of rear end sway do to the tires side walls rolling. At about 2500 miles I put a set of Firestone TransForce AT’s on it and the problem went away. Only drawback I had is I do not get a true MPG form the computer now. New tires are a size larger than standard and the size is not in the computer. With the other tires I was getting 22.5-23 MPG. Now I show 19.5 but I know this is not correct. So here is the truck and my trailer. This is my 5th ford truck, 2 F250’s and 3 F150’s. Like Scott I tried Chevy and Dodge (Ram) on for size but they just didn’t fit like the Ford. I have also pulled with 2 E150”s over the years.
316563.jpg

316564.jpg

316565.jpg

316566.jpg

John,

Nice truck!
If you go up in size on the tires, there will be a drop in fuel mileage (fuel consumption increase
err.gif
). I do not know how much of a drop, but there will be some.
It takes more power to turn bigger wheels.
A friend of mine went up two or three sizes on his, and he said he could tell a big difference.

Congrats Marty, nice looking truck.....no blue oval
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
.....but to each their own! Hope you thoroughly enjoy it!

Marty, congratulations on getting your new Cub hauler. Good looking truck.

Looks great Marty, love the color too! I've been fortunate in both my Ford's and my Silverado's have treated me very well. The only problems ever encountered were owner induced, for the most part.

Lookin good, Marty!
I like the color, too..My '16 Z71

317042.jpg

Back