• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Truckin' and Trailerin' our Cub Cadets

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtanner

displayname
Donald Tanner
David Schwandt
It really depends on the load that you are hauling as to what kind of fuel usage you will have. A Diesel will give way better mpg pulling than any gas engine. The answer is just how many big rigs do you see using a big gas engine to pull a load.My set up is a 95 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4,auto , 355 gears and the 5.9 cummins .I can get 26 mpg empty not pulling under 70 mph or under 2000 rpm.pulling my 10500 lb gvw fiver that loaded usual weight camping is 9200 and the truck at 7300 .towing I have gotten 15.5 with no wind and under 1800 rpm`s . So fuel usage depend on your right foot and the weather and the hills and speed you travel at.My fiver (fifth wheel camper) is so high over my truck that I do feel a gust of wind and I can run any speed but I pay for that speed in mpg .A bumper pull trailer of the same weight can be longer and I have seen better mpg`s because they are are a lot lower . I have read the the regen system on the diesels wast a bunch of fuel if you run them like a car more than use them for towing you will not have great fuel mpg. My truck with a few mods now has 342 hp at the back wheels on a dyno and 685 ft lb torque and I would love a little more for the hills. A friend and myself travelled to the same camp ground this summer . He towed a lighter fifth wheel with his Hemi and used $30.00 more dollars for the same tip in gas than I used for diesel.But I think he used his cruse control and they will eat gas doing that. I pick a speed and hold my right foot where it was on the flats and keep it there on the hills. The truck will slow down some but it will settle in and pull
the hill with my foot no where near the floor.
old.gif

Watch the newer cummins engines if you get one have someone install an egr delete kit and do away with the regen sys. Do this and you have one heck of a truck

The thought has crossed my mind a couple of times about making this my Cub Hauler. It has the 345 engine, 4-speed transmission with 373 gears. I just put an Edlebrock 4-bbl. carb. on it. It has stainless steel headers and the rest of the exhaust is stainless. It has plenty of power to tow Cubs. My Grandson and his girlfriend were impressed after I took them for a ride.
244583.jpg

William, any chance you could post more photos of your <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> Scout? How about some views from the sides and back? Please.
happy.gif
happy.gif

Bryan K., get caught removing that equipment here in New England and your vehicle gets impounded! They'll hand you a towing & storage bill after you pay the fines to get your plates back!

It's gettin' mean out there! The D.o.T. has now started goin' after the "Tuners" with their fart can mufflers!

they havent started doing that here yet. the only thing they are worried about here is having a federal dot number and anual inspection sticker on anything bigger than a 3/4 ton truck. farmers are not exempt from this either.

Thanks for the comments Guys. Here are a couple more pics of the Scout II. I need to take some more next time I have it outside.
244601.jpg
244602.jpg

My Scout II is a 1972 model. It has diamond plate floor boards. I am going to cover with carpet. The dash guages have been replaced with a full set of round gauges. It has the Centerline Mag wheels with the Mickey Thompson Baha's. I have a set of factory chrome wheels that I am going to use on it and remove the Baha's. I don't think they will last on hard pavement. I haven't decided on the tires yet, probably somethig as big as the wheels will allow and a mud/snow tread. It is a fun truck to drive and a real attention getter. You just don't hardly ever see one on the road. I was on vacation in Florida a few years ago and I saw one parked. I stopped and talked with the owner. He had restored it and was going to sell it and begin another one. Since I got mine, I have run across a few here in Central Indiana that are partly restored and some in process. I have found several in rough condition and would need complete restoration. If you want to see more Scouts, go to Youtube.com and type in IH Scout. There are some that are way better that mine. Thanks for your interest.

WILLIAM - Yes, your Scout would be an awesome CC tow vehicle. The 345 V8, with your added 4 bbl, & 4-spd & 3.73 gears would probably tow about as well as my '96 F250 5-spd PSD.

Back when I worked @ FARMALL, almost ALL the Supervisors drove Scouts. IH had a great lease program for Managers. They could order out a new Scout every other year and get almost exactly what they wanted. Most got the 345, A/T, power everything loaded, plus that great looking Tartan Plaid upholstry. I would have had one because I interviewed for a management job the last week of the BIG strike in April 1980, but the BIG Boss's thought I was more valuable to the company in my old job so never got the nod.

William, thanks for the additional photos, that's a nice looking Scout.
greenthumb.gif

Good to hear the comments about the Scout. There are lots of great Cub Haulers out there. I would think that the trucks with the newer design engines with injection would have plenty of power. I know my Dakota with the 318 has good power and fairly good gas mileage. It would be nice if we could hear from the guys with the heavy duty pickups and the diesel engines.

William-
I agree with the others... VERY NICE Scout!

Vince-
Nice rig!

Did your kid go and ROB a bank or something?
Shotgun.gif

Jeanne parked the Dakota here the other night:
246187.jpg

Made we wonder if I could do this:
246188.jpg

Then we went to the friend's that I'd offered to sell a TRACTOR to and let him try Emma with her 38" deck.
246189.jpg

He enjoyed the experience:
246190.jpg

He's 71 and for 1/2 hour or so was what the kids that International Harvester turned loose must have felt like when they got a chance to "test" one of these.
Suppose there's any of them out there that follow forums like this?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Does Jeanne's Dakota deserve a Cub Hauler sticker?
happy.gif

Frank C. You bet it does!!!
happy.gif
Dakotas are great Cub Cadet haulers.

Just got this trailer done this fall. Nephew Marty did the job with the paint scheme and the fenders. I used it before the snow to retreive the IH 482 and bring it home with me. As you can tell, it has been sitting under the carport. We have had a good deal of blowing snow here in the midwest.

251703.jpg

251704.jpg

Latest posts

Back