• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Truck Mounted Hoists

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wkashner

displayname
wayne kashner
Does anyone have any thoughts / experience with truck mounted hoists? Our group is restoring tombstones and we're thinking of mounting one on a trailer to lift heavier (<1000#) stones. Thanks.

How's this for ya
93464.jpg

93465.jpg

Wayne, are you looking to take the stones off property or just stand them up again? My concern about a trailer mount is the possibility of tipping over because of lack of weight of trailer. If they will just be re-erected did you consider a folding engine hoist, with plywood around the area to manuver them around?

Many of the stones are lying flat on the ground. We need to move them several feet away, reset or replace the bases and the replace the stone. Your concerns are well-founded and appreciated. We need a small enough 'mini-crane' to manuever into tight areas yet big enough to be stabil. I have been thinking about tripods, engine hoists, fabicating a pull-behind rig that could be pulled by my CC 147; just not sure which way to go as of yet. I just know there is a wealth of knowledge on this website. Thanks.

Back when I was in the propane biz I had a set up like the one Brendan has. I could pick up and move 500 gallon tanks full with no p[roblem. We had the frame under the bed stiffend with square tubing to help with the weight because the bed would flex to much. I could drive around slowly but with that much weight off the side even a one to let you know it was out there.

The hoist I have is rated at 1000# for safety but I have picked much more than that with it. They do have some hoists that are identical to mine that are rated for 2000# but $ were the prevailing factor ($100 vs $250) but the heavier one is still not badly priced. I do have mine mounted above a box mount to add strength and stability and haven't had any problems. When I pick up a Cub the hoist side of the truck will drop less than 2" and I have had them hanging off the side while backing the truck up to reposition them. I'm happy with the set up. I wouldn't mount it on it's own trailer either as there's no counter weight to hold it down. I have seen one a guy has on an equipment type trailer and it works for him but I think he has a brace he drops down when picking something as a trailer I think would want to twist being basically setting on 3 points (2 tires and the hitch). There are several other designs in Harbor Freight that I think would work well for you, they are simpler and don't have the range of motion that my type does but for what you are doing I don't think that will matter. I believe they are also a little less expensive.

I went and looked through Harbor Freight and Northern again and prices have changed a bit since I bought mine but still are reasonable. Ya have to search "cranes" as hoist doesn't bring up the right items. The ones they are listing are rated at 1000# like mine, thought they were more. I bought mine at Cummins Tool when they have the mobile truckload sales. I know it's Chinese and I hate that part but I didn't figure they could screw that up, too bad, I just inspected the welds the best I could before paying for it
lol.gif

Thanks to all. I knew I came to the right place for advice.

If I do decide to mount this on a trailer, I will likely use some type of outrigger (jack type arrangement) to stabilize when making a pick.

I saw a 'new' type of pickup truck mounted lift that would pick off the back of the truck and lift it directly over the tailgate; after setting the load, the lift then continues to rotate forward toward the cab & stows in the box of the truck. Reminiscent of the old 'A frame' booms on utility trucks from the 1960's; these were the ones that would reroute the bed winch through the boom shieve; not much by today's standards but doubtless saved a lot of back injuries in its day.

Wayne, Harbor Freight has Trailer Jacks for about $20 each. Might be something to check out as part of your design ideas. They hold 2000# with various mounting methods.

Lonnie, Did you need to install any outriggers on your trailer to help stabilize it when using your crane? Thanks for showing the pictures.

Wayne.

So far I have not had to install any out riggers, HOWEVER I do want to install a simple one like a screw jack in the corner of the trailer by the hoist just to have the added stability if and when needed.

Continuing with my hoist/trailer saga, I need to put a heavier axle under the trailer.

Long story short...the existing axle is a home-made one and I want to install a store-bought one. I don't need springs as the trailer is just for off road behind the Cub. The trailer measures about 4.5' wide by about 10' (including the tongue).

Looking for suggestions on how to fasten an axle without springs. U-bolts? Weld?

Lonnie can you post a close up photo of how the hoist is hooked to the cub?

Jeff.

The hoist is simply attached to a 3-point A-frame that hooks into the rear 3-point lift on the tractor.
149075.jpg

149076.jpg

149077.jpg

149078.jpg

149079.jpg

Back