• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Transmission Fluid for Cub 1450

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syax

displayname
steve yax
Are there any quality substitutes for the cub cadet transmission fluid. My local CC dealer wants $8.50 per quart and of course I need 4 qts for a changeout. Thanks for a prompt response.

Are there any quality substitutes for the cub cadet transmission fluid. My local CC dealer wants $8.50 per quart and of course I need 4 qts for a changeout. Thanks for a prompt response.
In a word, no! Why put something in that's worked for 40+ years to something that you don't know will work for 1, Just sayin. (y) It's your tractor, you can use what you want.

Hytran should work fine. Go to a cnh dealer and it should be cheaper than that.

Steve, What model is your Cub Cadet Hydro? You mention it needing 4 quarts for a change out. That is not right for an IH Cub Cadet or early MTD Cub Cadets garden tractors which require 7 quarts. There two types of transmission fluids used in Cub Cadets. "HyTran" is the recommended oil for IH built Cub Cadets and all early MTD built Cub Cadets. It has special additives to suspend any moisture in the oil and settles it out on the bottom of the transmission case. This prevents the moisture from damaging your hydro pump. You can get HyTran at your local CaseIH or Case New Holland dealer. It will be some cheaper than through you Cub Cadet dealer but you may have to buy it in 1 gallon or 5 gallon quantities.

Later model Cub Cadets use a different type transmission fluid and you need to use it for those later models. Actually the $8.50/quart your Cub Cadet dealer quoted you isn't all that bad. Using the recommended, correct transmission fluid will keep your transmission running smoothly for many years and avoid expensive repairs that using cheap fluid could cause! This is not something you want to be pennywise on and pound foolish later replacing your hydro pump.

You can get HY TRAN at Tractor Supply or Costco or Sam's club for about $45.00 more or less for a 5 gal. bucket,if you don't have an account at the dealers
you will pay top dollar

You can get HY TRAN at Tractor Supply or Costco or Sam's club for about $45.00 more or less for a 5 gal. bucket,if you don't have an account at the dealers
you will pay top dollar
I hate to tellya that you can not! Hytran can only be bought at Case-IH or New Holland dealers. (y)

Best way i've found to buy it is 2.5 gal jugs of Hytran and the local Case IH dealer.. usually about $50

There's a whole OEM vs Manufacturer debate. There are plenty of folks using non-IH HyTran and it's a lot cheaper. And yes, the hydro manufacturer will tell you you don't have to use it.

I use it in the cubs I care about for sure, but 7 quarts of the stuff in a tractor that's only worth a couple hundred bucks is a tough pill to swallow if it's mostly just going to sit around.

IH Hy-Tran was what was factory installed in a 1450 from 1974 to 1980. It is still available as the posts above indicate from any Case IH dealer. The box store oil with a similar spelling is not the same. These tractors are nearly indestructible with the correct maintenance.

Ethan - Auto-correct can be very frustrating sometimes, but it really cracked me up this time.

According to a note from my daughter, the inventor of auto-correct died recently - may he roast in piss.

On topic: I'll stick with Hy-Tran. Hyenas are hard to get through that little opening in the rear cover.

😂

I buy mine at the IH dealer, in bulk for 5$ a qt.

Don't chince on the filter. Use the factory Cub Cadet hydraulic oil filter. A conventional oil filter we fit mechanically but is not constructed for hydraulic oil use.

Few years back I bought a 1650 cheap ( I had about $100 including my fuel and lunch to go pick it up) because the previous owner said the trans was junk.
Changed the Fram filter for proper Cub filter and put Hy-tran in it. I've run that one enough to rust through the deck. Still no problems with trans, new Cub filter and Hy-tran once a year, why chance a quality unit for a few bucks?

Few years back I bought a 1650 cheap ( I had about $100 including my fuel and lunch to go pick it up) because the previous owner said the trans was junk.
Changed the Fram filter for proper Cub filter and put Hy-tran in it. I've run that one enough to rust through the deck. Still no problems with trans, new Cub filter and Hy-tran once a year, why chance a quality unit for a few bucks?
There's absolutly no reason to change both every year. Just sayin. Every 5 to 7 years or so is more than enough.

I have a Kubota tractor that I change the the tranny oil about every 5 years use the same filter that comes from Kubota,but buy my HY TRAN from Sam,s club
like I said earlier between $45.00 & $50.00 for a 5gal.pail,bought it new in 1986 no problems with the trans.it's a hydrostatic shifter.Popped a hose got stuck for $60.00 plus for branded HY TRAN 2.5gals to replace what was lost

Sam's club doesn't sell hy-tran. Nobody sells hytran except for CNH/CIH dealers. If you're buying "hytran" at farm supply stores, you're buying a lesser product.

Now, whether you need to run real hytran or not is a different story.

Ray - I'd be interested in seeing the container your Hy-Tran from Sam's Club came in. Hy-Tran was developed specifically for International Harvester farm tractors back in the late 1950's/early 1960's because of roller sprague clutches used in IH's Torque Amplifier. IH had Viscosity developed a TA additive they sold for a short period of time, that evolved into Hy-Tran. Hy-Tran has gone thru about 4 major formula changes since then to keep up with the demands of today's more complex transmission and hydraulic systems, but it has ALWAYS been backward compatible. Hy-Tran is ONLY made by Viscosity Oil in Wheeling, I'll, only for Case/IH/New Holland and Case Industrial equipment. There is an SAE spec for Hy-Tran, hopefully the oil you used met that SAE spec. Check out Viscosity Oil's website. They were just bought up by Petronas Oil this past year and Petronas has funded a huge modernization project at Viscosity.

Back