• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Tractor Lifts

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgunn

displayname
David W Gunn
I'd love to see what DIY approaches people have made towards building tractor lifts for their garage. I've been toying around with the idea of using the winch off of my ATV. I want to make something so I don't have to bend down to garage floor level to work on the lower half of my cubs.

Thanks for posting this, I've been wondering the same!

I would love a lifting table/platform but need to wait for the right deal on one.

I have a winch on my Jeep, as well as a 500lb drill winch and 1 ton chain hoist, but none of those really keep me from laying on the ground from time to time when it comes to working on the Cub.

I just use a ratchet hoist from a rafter in my garage. I made a 'spreader bar' that fastens to the hook at its center and has two chains about 3' long to wrap around the axle inboard of each front wheel. Also, as a side note, I found that if i am doing anything major, a fairly tall jackstand at each wheel saves my back.

I just use a ratchet hoist from a rafter in my garage. I made a 'spreader bar' that fastens to the hook at its center and has two chains about 3' long to wrap around the axle inboard of each front wheel. Also, as a side note, I found that if i am doing anything major, a fairly tall jackstand at each wheel saves my back.

I've been meaning to get some taller jackstands for automotive work as well, I'll have to keep an eye on harbor freight and Craigslist.

I didn't so much make a lift for working on my cubs/motorcycles as it is just an elevated platform that I winch or drive them up. I only built it this summer but it has made maintenance and repairs much easier. It even makes getting under a tractor to drive out pins much easier than crawling on the floor since I can keep scoot to the edge and stand up from sitting position vs off the floor.

20190831_145038.jpg

20190831_151706.jpg

20190831_151329.jpg

20190831_151457.jpg

I got the idea from the place that works on my Cub Cadet. They use an engine hoist with a strap that is centered and they attach the ends of the strap to the front of the tractor, near the wheels. Allows one to get to the underside of the deck and the machine. I went out and bought one of the 1-ton versions at Harbor Freight a couple of years ago when they had them on sale for $99.99. I unfortunately, don't have a picture of it set up since my equipment is put away for the winter.

Engine_Hoist.jpg

I'd love to see what DIY approaches people have made towards building tractor lifts for their garage. I've been toying around with the idea of using the winch off of my ATV. I want to make something so I don't have to bend down to garage floor level to work on the lower half of my cubs.
I have made 2 rotisseries when restoring my cubs I can spin them upside down 360 degrees sideways so I can sandblast prime paint then assemble them while it holds them off the floor I have a forklift I can use to lift a complete cub as high as I need The 2 rotisseries I made I can lift the whole rotisserie with the cub attached to it with my forklift if they are not high enough off the floor And the rotisserie wont slip off the forks

I have made 2 rotisseries when restoring my cubs I can spin them upside down 360 degrees sideways so I can sandblast prime paint then assemble them while it holds them off the floor I have a forklift I can use to lift a complete cub as high as I need The 2 rotisseries I made I can lift the whole rotisserie with the cub attached to it with my forklift if they are not high enough off the floor And the rotisserie wont slip off the forks

That setup sounds great. Would love to see some pictures if you have any!

Has anybody here worked much with Strut Channel? I would love a big I beam and trolley but that's not going to happen in my current garage, but I could probably rationalize some strut channel and trolleys to get a sort of a trolley hoist setup. I already have a chain hoist and drill powered winch, so I would just need the channel, trolleys, and mounting hardware.

EDIT: I should add, I am aware that strut channel is not going to be near as strong as something like an I beam, and I will be sure to research and adhere to any weight limits should I look further into this option :cool:

Last edited:
That setup sounds great. Would love to see some pictures if you have any!
Has anybody here worked much with Strut Channel? I would love a big I beam and trolley but that's not going to happen in my current garage, but I could probably rationalize some strut channel and trolleys to get a sort of a trolley hoist setup. I already have a chain hoist and drill powered winch, so I would just need the channel, trolleys, and mounting hardware.
give me some time to figure out how to upload the pics im not very good at a computer

I use a motorcycle lift from harbor freight added 6 in. On both sides .it lift s about 20 in and 1000 lb. So no more working on ground.

Built this cub workbench mostly out of reclaimed crate wood from work, I just us a winch to pull them up on. The boards in the center slide forward and back to use a jack and to get out of the way to work on things up through the middle.
20171126_120608 (1).jpg

Latest posts

Back