• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Towing ability 127

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cubstudent

Hey guys. I have my Cub 127 up and running and would like to tow around on my property a 5x8 landscape trailer with firewood. What kind of weight is ok for this unit to handle without damage. I know it's built with a cast rear end and just done want to hurt it. Thanks for any insight before I do something that will hurt my Cub. Hitch weight limit rates if known would help also. Thanks

I doubt you'll over do it on towing weight. Traction, or loss thereof will quickly tell you how much is too much. I would be more concerned with stopping. If your property is at all hilly you're going to have issues stopping if you have too much weight in the trailer. How much is too much to safely stop, hard to say. To be safe, start out small and add.

I have a 71 and had about 2,500 lbs of mulch in my 5x8 trailer. I had to have my son sit on the hood to keep the front end down when going uphill!

I doubt you'll over do it on towing weight. Traction, or loss thereof will quickly tell you how much is too much. I would be more concerned with stopping. If your property is at all hilly you're going to have issues stopping if you have too much weight in the trailer. How much is too much to safely stop, hard to say. To be safe, start out small and add.

Good point!...never really think about that aspect until it's too late.

I've pulled around a car trailer in my old drive way because of how tight it was to turn back there, it had probably 1000lbs of old truck on it and the trailer was probably 2500lbs. Tongue weight was a little much for the 100 but moved it ok. Dad has a 1200 and we used it all the time to move our pop up camper around and it was just over 3000lbs because it had trailer brakes

Just 4 days ago I moved ~2,000 lbs of topsoil in our 5x8 trailer with our 1650 and dumped it around our lawn. I shoveled/arranged the soil so the hitch weight was only about 100 lbs. I was a bit concerned about traction on the lawn but waited til it was dry and had no issues. Plus, I use this machine mainly for winter snow blowing and leave wheel weights on year round. If it had lost traction I would have shoveled dirt toward the front of the trailer for more weight on the hitch. The 1650 grunted a bit on the soft ground but I moved very slowly and didn't have to use more than about a quarter throttle. Hope this helps.

As stated above, stopping will be more of the issue than moving.

We used our 149 to move our boats over the years. One was a smaller boat that was 2000-2500 lbs. Pulled and stopped it not much differently than the truck did. The other was 5500+lbs. Pulled it fine, but stopping took some thought, because the weight of the boat and trailer would push the tractor sideways, and then keep pushing until everything stopped. If it's too heavy, the tires will spin before it moved, but if you can get it moving, stopping will be a challenge.

These are all great examples of why IH moved away from the belt drives. People started using these great tractors for more and more. Anyone here got stories how this all came about? I had an 8N and almost always used my 122 for everything I needed to do. Steep hills were no problem, I’d put my foot down or have someone push on my low side. I’ve moved 100’s of tons with my 70 and 122. I also like the ball hitch mounted up front. Great machines!

Thanks so much all fellow Cubers, lots to think about. My land is level except for going up to the front of my home to deliver the winter wood to the front porch,all will be well coming back down,as I will be unloaded. I can't wait to give her a try. I'll take some pics when I'm all booked up and hauling. Thanks again. So nice to get all your feed backs!!!!! Cubstudent!!!

Just remember if you have a gear drive cub, if the weights too heavy, you run the risk of breaking something in the drive line....just a thought. I just had to replace the clutch and drive plate in my 1200 because I didn't let up plowing. Not a fun task! Ed

James Kent - I guess the reason quarter-scale and garden tractor pullers of ALL brands use IH Cub Cadet drivetrains and clutches is "because they break so easily"? Granted, those little dry clutches are probably The single most abused thing on gear drive Cub Cadets.
I've now got a hopped-up Killer Kohler K321 engine in my CC #72, originally I used a bunch of MidWest SuperCub heavy-duty parts and after about a year totally destroyed the throw-out bearing, I ripped everything out and went back with ALL new STOCK parts. I only run about 100# of wheel weights per rear tire, my "weak link" is traction between my 23-8.50x12 Firestone 23 degree tires and the ground, whether it be bare packed dirt, grass, or my concrete driveway. The absolute last thing I worry about on that tractor is anything from the clutch back.

Back