• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Torque value on a spindle nut

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellycaudle

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Kelly Caudle
I have the 42" deck which came on my 1993 Cub 1641. I rebuilt the spindle assemblies. These are the old type. Is there a torque value on this nut? I overtightened them initially and burned up my bearings. Note, I did buy a couple shims. thank you

1682351589721.jpeg

I have the 42" deck which came on my 1993 Cub 1641. I rebuilt the spindle assemblies. These are the old type. Is there a torque value on this nut? I overtightened them initially and burned up my bearings. Note, I did buy a couple shims. thank you

View attachment 153744
All owners manuals have specs in them.
1682351849059.png

If you added shims, remove them as they are making the bearings bind.
You posted a parts breakdown of the spindle, you can follow the how the parts are assembled on the spindle by comparing how it goes together.

Last edited:
I must be missing something, because when I tighten the blade nut to 50 to 60 ft lbs this is too tight for the bearings. The assembly is virtually lock up. Is there a good video on you tube that shows the assembly of the older type spindles? thank you
I've seen a lot of guys that use the old spacer instead of buying the kit and that will cause the issue your having.
1682975893084.png

Add 3/4" ID x 0.010" arbor shims in the middle of the stackup (with the spacer #14 in the diagram) until the spindle rotates freely when tightened. If you already tried adding shims, you either didn't add enough or added them in the wrong place.

I've used McMaster-Carr shim assortment 3088A934 while rebuilding Cub spindles....

https://www.mcmaster.com/3088A934/
Dry fit everything (no grease, maybe light oil) and pick shim(s) that result in about 0.005" longitudinal play. Put it back together and tighten the nut, then double-check that you still have clearance. If you didn't get the right value, take it back apart and add or remove shims.

Only add grease after you are satisfied with the end play, and the nut is tightened for the last time.

Back