• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Today's project

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PACub100

IHCC Supporter
Radiator replacement...NOT easy

20220525_172958.jpg

Still driving my 1990 740 turbo wagon, 250? K miles, easy to wrench on… advised a step kid to buy a Volvo XC70, wish I hadn’t. Awesome car to drive but man is it a pain to work on and we’ve done a lot…

My son was looking to buy an XC70 but since they're harder to find and commanding a premium, he's eyeing up an XC90 instead. The P3 platform (2007-2016) was developed under Ford ownership and is, from what I understand, less quirky than authentic Volvo design.
The V8 in my car is actually 60⁰ designed by Yamaha so it would fit transverse under the hood and believe me, there's no room left in there...🤨
My cousin is a mechanic and 2 years ago he helped me put a rack and pinion in it, afterwards he said "believe I'm done working on Volvos"...🤣

No matter what I own, I'm very interested in being able to maintain it myself. There is a world of Volvo people out there that would hate to go to a dealer. Brickboard. Com
I am original owner of my '89 200 series. 336K miles on it and I've spent less to keep it roadworthy then many folks with much newer cars. That's why they call these pre '93 Volvo, Bricks.
How did we get to Volvo from Cubs? ☺

Attachments

• IMG_20220527_083553.jpg
    IMG_20220527_083553.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 0
No matter what I own, I'm very interested in being able to maintain it myself. There is a world of Volvo people out there that would hate to go to a dealer. Brickboard. Com
I am original owner of my '89 200 series. 336K miles on it and I've spent less to keep it roadworthy then many folks with much newer cars. That's why they call these pre '93 Volvo, Bricks.
How did we get to Volvo from Cubs? ☺
Those older Volvos are becoming quite the hot ticket item with the younger generation...my twins would love to have an "850 turbo brick". Funny how crossovers and SUVs are king now and the next generation are looking at 80s-90s station wagons...🤔

Me, I'd never considered a Volvo until I needed a bigger car than my Elantra. I swore I'd never own another brand new car unless I win the powerball, so I started looking for $5,000 used cars and discovered an S80. After looking at a few I bought an '09 3.2 inline 6. Loved it!!...was better built than any new car and (while not being an attention grabber) it was a great looking car. Sadly it was totalled when a kid rear-ended me while waiting to make a turn across traffic. His car was totally demolished, mine on the other hand, didn't look like it was hit at all. It's true what they claim about Volvo. They are the safest vehicles on the road.
After the accident, I continued to drive my car for about a month and half while everything got settled. I decided that the only thing I wanted more was a little more "oomph" under the hood. So, between the T6 (turbo 3.0 inline) or the V8, I chose the V8 for less opportunity for mechanical failures. I love this thing. While it may not be the fastest car on the road, it's no slouch and the 315 hp will put you back in the seat. The only gripe is the cost of parts. Mine has the active suspension and I replaced the shocks and struts last summer at $450 each...🤢
But...in the long run, I'm still ahead as I'm approaching 180,000 and no major issues...

Those older Volvos are becoming quite the hot ticket item with the younger generation...my twins would love to have an "850 turbo brick". Funny how crossovers and SUVs are king now and the next generation are looking at 80s-90s station wagons...🤔

Me, I'd never considered a Volvo until I needed a bigger car than my Elantra. I swore I'd never own another brand new car unless I win the powerball, so I started looking for $5,000 used cars and discovered an S80. After looking at a few I bought an '09 3.2 inline 6. Loved it!!...was better built than any new car and (while not being an attention grabber) it was a great looking car. Sadly it was totalled when a kid rear-ended me while waiting to make a turn across traffic. His car was totally demolished, mine on the other hand, didn't look like it was hit at all. It's true what they claim about Volvo. They are the safest vehicles on the road.
After the accident, I continued to drive my car for about a month and half while everything got settled. I decided that the only thing I wanted more was a little more "oomph" under the hood. So, between the T6 (turbo 3.0 inline) or the V8, I chose the V8 for less opportunity for mechanical failures. I love this thing. While it may not be the fastest car on the road, it's no slouch and the 315 hp will put you back in the seat. The only gripe is the cost of parts. Mine has the active suspension and I replaced the shocks and struts last summer at $450 each...🤢
But...in the long run, I'm still ahead as I'm approaching 180,000 and no major issues...
Funny about the Looks of Volvo. Boxy but safe, as they say. The guys at work teased me by calling my Volvo ' the chick magnet'.
It's no rocket, it's no beauty but I bought it new in late '88 and it has never seen a mechanic. Timing belts are a cinch compared to other cars, and I'm still on my original Starter and Alternator. The car has cost me next to nothing to own.
Back in '94, when Ford bought it, the VP of Ford said the 200 was do reliable that Ford will never make that mistake.

You should feel lucky, when I replaced the shocks for my raptor, they were $1200 a piece from ford, the only place that had them available at the time. Luckily I found a place out of Texas that could rebuild them, and they ONLY charged $550 a piece for a rebuild! AND they told me those fox shocks were only good for around 20,000 miles. So, now, I'm on my 3rd raptor because I just trade them in when I get close to the 20k mark. That's when they get expensive with shocks, and tyres. Last I looked, only BFG and Hankook made tyres that size, with Hankook being the less expensive at around $320 each. I'm sure replacement parts have come down a bit in price since I bought my first raptor, but it's still more fun just to get a new one every few years.

Back