• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

To AG, or not to AG?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drglinski

displayname
Daniel Glinski
I'm considering getting AGS for my 147. Currently I'm running turfs. I primarily run it for mowing and snow removal, occasional gardening with a tiller. I like the look of ags and am familiar with how they'll operate on the lawn, but am not sure how well they'll operate in the winter on my concrete driveway. Are AGS on a cub cadet ok in snow or are they junk? Thanks

Daniel, you'll still need chains to work in the snow and chains don't work as well on ag tires as they do on turf tires. However the chains will work good enough on the ag tires. If you need new tires I'd go with the ags but if your turf tires are OK I'd stick with them.

<FONT SIZE="-2">IMO, FWIW, YMMV, My $0.02, Yada, Yada, Yada...</FONT>

I like ag tires. I run have ran them with great success for years. They don't tear up the yard when mowing and I have had really good success with them in snow. With the ag tires, I really haven't needed a dif lock (like on some newer tractors) and my tractors go like a jeep.

However - I haven't had to deal much with ice. My landscape is somewhat hilly/lumpy, but so far so good with the ags. If the road or drive were iced up, I'd probably be in trouble. Most of the time the ice (in the snow mix) is crushed or broken somehow and my ag tires can get a grip.

I would agree, however, that turf tires with chains are probably better than ag tires and chains. However, it ain't one of my favorite chores to change out tires and weights - soooo, I would recommend ag tires. If you are like me and don't want to deal with changing out the tires, I would recommend a 2nd or 3rd or 4th tractor with turf tires/chains with the snow equipment on it - dedicated for that use...
thumbsup_old.gif
old.gif

I have to totally agree with Kraig on this one. I have AGs on my 1512 for summer gardening work and such. They aren't the best for cutting the lawn, especially if it is wet, they leave marks on my lawn. I also agree that tire chains are a must in the winter, especially where I live in Upstate NY. I run my turf tires with chains in the winter and my AGs for mostly summer use. I did change up this year, and took the chains off my turf tires for the first few grass cuttings of the year, but I too hate having to put them back on. My Ags are going on this weekend so I can get my garden ready. The biggest PITA for me are the wheel weights. It's a little hard for me to hold them up while trying to put the carriage bolts through the holes in the back. The weights are a necessity in the winter especially.

The best way I find to put on the wheel weights is to remove the tire from the tractor, install the weights, than put the tire back on the tractor, done righ you dont even need to lift the tire, just roll it into place and bolt it on.

Lonny,

That would be a great idea if I didn't have to use lug nuts. I'm not sure what kind of wheel weights you are describing, but I have the cast iron solid weights like the ones in the picture below. Trying to hold them in place while trying to line up the holes and put in the carriage bolts is a pain. I have a little trick I use if I am forced to try it alone. I tie a piece of thin string to the tip of the carriage bolt, and try to pull it through the hole in the weight while holding the weight in place. It works sometimes, but it is much easier with someone helping out. I apologize if these may come from one of those green machines. I bought them used when I bought my used 1512D and added a snow plow.
258909.jpg

Wheel weights such as seen in the photo below, weigh in around 70lbs a each,
258912.jpg

I have cc plastic coated 75 lb and I use a piece of 4x4 and set the weight on the 4x4 and tilt into wheel and then slip the bolt in saves lifting the weight

I love it when this topic comes up.

Always the same answer here AGS AGS AGS AGS.
-Cool good looks (less likely for someone to call your Cub a lawn-mower)
-I like mine for mowing, more ground pressure on the lug portion takes alot of the little bumps out of my lawn.
-I need a do-all tire, and turfs don't cut it in the dirt.

Lonnie or vincent, what size/brand are those ags? I'm just curious, the pic makes them look real tall and skinny.

Joseph - they are tall, 6x15s or something. They are sitting on my shelf awaiting a future project. Lonnie might know more or remember what brand they are.

As Rick stated - they're AGS they're COOL

My .02. I put them on my Cub 70, mainly for plowing at plow days. I found that in the winter on my gravel drive way, I still needed chains, even with 110# of weight on each wheel. My problem was when I pushed snow downhill from my garage, I had problems backing up, since I cannot plow snow real low to the ground because of the stones. You may be alright on concrete.

Here is my opinion Ags filled with washer fluid. for easier tire/wheel changing, get rid of the stock lug bolts, install studs on the hub and use lug nuts like cars have, as far as the carriage bolt for the weights, replace with redirod with a nut on both sides of the wheel, that way you don't have to hold the bolt while try to get the weights back on. just my .02 worth

Doug my ags are filled and the stud idea will happen next time I swap them out for winter. thanks

Latest posts

Back