• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Tire chains on AG tires

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I did that to one of my Cubs I'd probably kick myself, luckily none of my Cubs have tire chains. And the snow tractor is an ugly rusty JD so if I damage the fender pan with the chains, so be it!

Ok I have a set (2) of chains that i used once. On my Duramax diesel 2005. The chains are made in Austria. Quality very high. Has anyone ever cut these down to fit Garden tractor AG tires. Seems like it can be done. But what would you connect the links with? To keep attached . Not work it’s way out.

There are tire chain pliers that can be used to release the cross links and then reattach them.

I've taken passenger car chains and sized them for garden tractors. It's tedious but usually end up with better chains.

9ea5f3c6-f779-41f6-aa03-2ce1a3dcdfe0_1.2843f8c5cdefb3530fc6ccaa3fc597a9.jpeg

These are what makes tire chains easy to work on

They are spendy but they don't wear out

If the chains are old and cold there is a possibility of cracking the cross link hook. That will induce some swearing if you're out of hooks

Chain repair links as sold in your local hardware store would work on a garden tractor application. Some bolt cutters if you don’t already have them.

More than that, you can go to tirechain dot com and pick “parts and accessories “ from their drop dow menu. They got everything you need and more.

Les has run the 1872 now for 2 winters w/ags and no chains w/no issues and we've had a hell of a lot of snow so far this year. Have not gotten stuck yet.

Same for the 149/DanCo unit.
But....we have LOTS of weight on both of them.
That is the key here, getting the weight in contact with the ground.

yeah. I’m wondering. I had big tires on th 16” Now have 18” But 275. Wonder if they will fit? OH WELL . Not like i’ll need them on a new Ford F 250. We had 30” of snow in Dec. 30” in February. Good winter for plowing. But never needed chains. I think tractor needs them more.

Been traveling

Last set that I down sized I hooked them at about where I wanted them then took the extra cross links and reattached the to the middle links on the ones that would be kept

I cut the extra rail off after I pulled the cross links

They'll work fine without the extra links

I liked it because the fit print is smaller so the extra cross links keep chain in contact with ground

Back