• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Tire chains on AG tires

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevenovick1

Who makes them. Or where to buy. I’m sure there’s more cheap ones made than really a Good ones. I bought a set once for my 2005 Dura max. They were made in Austria. $250.00

you have to realize if they made chains for ag tires they must improve the traction.
I know chains on my Kubota b7000 they
are a must even with diff locking.
and on the 782d with ag tires; I do not try to plow without chains on the ag tires.

My off-topic snowblowing rig has loaded ags with chains on them. They work incredibly well, even though supposedly not the ideal tire setup. I haven't had a single issue with traction.
IMG_20210101_164007.jpg
(The springs are holding tension to the chains so they don't fall off the tire)

I ran a set of vbar 2 link (see link) on ag for a number of years. They worked ok. Switched to lawn tires and they worked awesome!

https://tirechainsonline.com/part-no-gt5307v/
I tried a duo v bar chain in my 4 wheeler.

https://www.amazon.com/TireChain-co...ocphy=9003032&hvtargid=pla-794926298632&psc=1
They worked well a first, even with the deep tire lugs. After plowing for a while the chain works between the lugs and they don’t work as well. ATV tire lugs are very different than ag tires. So something like this might work well.

Good luck!

Type//style of the cross chains and how tight you run them makes a big difference. Most people run their chain to tight or to narrow for the tire they are on. Really no reason to use any tension springs, bunge cords, etc on the chains to "tighten them up". Running them to tight pulls them down between the ag bars and don't allow the chains to self clean.

I run log skidder chains front and rear on my Ford 4x4 industrial tractor with at tires. They work beautifully. Don’t know if they are available in Cub Cadet sizes. On my 104 cadet with turf, I run 2 link chains with v-bars and a weight bracket on the rear with 3, 70 lb. Ford suitcase weights. Plus my 230 lb, it’s a real snow pusher.

I'm a rural delivery driver in Montana. I'm new to GT everything but I know about chaining tires for off pavement traction.

If your chains are cleaning themselves then they are too loose

Prattico's chains are too long for the tires. The setup works because you can probably walk faster than the tractor.
(Not trying to to be a jerk, text communication always hard)

I chain and de-chain 5-7 times a day, 3-5 months of the year. Traveling 15-35 MPH roads, 5-20 miles per chaining.

These are not snow clearing conditions but I do know that loose and poorly sized chains are less effective than properly fitted chains.

I have seen the skidsteer and large AG tire chains with H or diamond patterns to ride over the bars.

Type//style of the cross chains and how tight you run them makes a big difference. Most people run their chain to tight or to narrow for the tire they are on. Really no reason to use any tension springs, bunge cords, etc on the chains to "tighten them up". Running them to tight pulls them down between the ag bars and don't allow the chains to self clean.

My original setup did not have springs holding tension to the chains. However on my first test drive the chains nearly fell off the tires before I had even been driving for a minute. The tension applied by the springs isn't a ton, just enough to hold the chains to the tires. My ag bars are also not very tall and the chains ride over top of them rather than between them (which is probably due to the type of tread, there's probably different treads that allow the chain to slip between the ag bars).

Prattico's chains are too long for the tires. The setup works because you can probably walk faster than the tractor.
(Not trying to to be a jerk, text communication always hard)

You are 100% correct on my chains being too long for the tires. And being just a garden tractor, yes, it's a pretty slow moving application. For a large vehicle you'd want proper fitting chains, but for a GT it's not that big a deal. Even so, the machine does move fast enough to fling the loose section of the chains up and hit the underside of my fender pan.

One supplier told me the reason was that he chain would fit many different size tires - - therefore cost effective for the manufacturer - - not so cost effective for the poor sap who paid for 30% more chain than he needs and perhaps has to go out and buy a bolt cutter to trim them down to size.

Absolutley nothing to do with common sense in this instance anyway. That was one of my dad's tractors, a 2072. There may have been a bit more to the story. I believe it may have been the time the bolts in the aluminum rear end came loose/out and caused the rear to droop allowing the chain to catch. Fairly common problem with the bolts in the aluminum rears. Over the years I've seen a few Cubs with fender damage like this from chains, that was just the easiest photo to find.

Back