• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Tire chain sizes - what will they fit

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not certain what size fits a 6-12 tire. I have never tried to install one of my 23x8.5-12 chains sets on a 6-12 tire so I can't say if it will fit OK. I would think it would wrap to far down the sidewall.

Here's a place that sells tire chains that has them listed for 6-12 tires, that I found by searching hte internet. Don't know anything about them just found by searching.

6-12 Tire Chains

I have some boxes of new short cross links that may be usable to make a set for the skinny tires.
Measure across your tires and consider whatever additional length you need for cross links.
Meanwhile, I'll try to find the new ones and get a measurement for you.

There " MAY BE" a situation that 4-link chains may be better than 2-link chains, but I haven't found that situation yet, My first set of chains were nylon straps with tough plastic cross bars with two tungsten carbide " studs" exactly like what's used in studded tires. I got them the day AFTER the first big snow I tried to clear with my QA-36 snow blower on my #72 Cub Cadet. The plastic crossbars did not scratch my Brand New concrete driveway, and just the lightest marks from the studs. I used them for several years.
The last set of chains I bought were used ATV chains. Tire chain sizing is a " Relative" thing, what works best is the adjustments made after the chains are put on.
SON and I were clearing all the snow late winter of 2006, Super H had chains and 600# of rear wheel weights, the chains were about 200# more each, it was the year we had 101 inches of snow around Madison, I could really move snow. The M had 900# of wheel weights, but no chains, it really needed the chains put on. It would spin a rear wheel on the tiniest amount of snow and be stuck. Even being on grass or crushed rock really didn't seem to improve things much, but SON & I had great fun for 2 hours on two GREAT FARMALL tractors on a nice. brght sunny winter day. And we moved a HECK of a lot of snow!

ngs

I have some boxes of new short cross links that may be usable to make a set for the skinny tires.
Measure across your tires and consider whatever additional length you need for cross links.
I was rooting thru a box of old parts for that tractor and found the tire chains for it. The tractor was my grandfathers and I didn’t know that box existed until my dad pulled it out of his garage. There is all kind of parts for the old girl

David,

I think I have enough cross links to make my 4-link chains into 2-links, but I have never figured out how to open them, and then crimp them onto the tire chains. Does anyone know how this is done?

Place them in a vice, using a cold chisel or even a large screwdriver, carefully spread hook open , then hook onto sidechain same direction your other links are.
Using hammer on an anvil or similar close the loop you opened . It's not hard to do,
I can't get a picture to you, I would if I could.

Place them in a vice, using a cold chisel or even a large screwdriver, carefully spread hook open , then hook onto sidechain same direction your other links are.
Using hammer on an anvil or similar close the loop you opened . It's not hard to do,
I can't get a picture to you, I would if I could.
Or buy some tire chain pliers.

Or buy some tire chain pliers.
I thought there must be some kind of crimper for that. Thanks for the name. I could almost buy a set of 2-link chains for what they want for the pliers, but at least I know how it’s done now.

Thank you both.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3528707135...I+VCsutzAPfx/5x+s68cYIfz4=|tkp:Bk9SR7ql4KmpYQ
s-l400.jpg

This is a good deal for tire chain pliers

It's not quick work but a whole lot faster than vise and chisel

Just happened to see these posts since I've been away awhile. Those tire chain pliers are nice but instead of buying them I'd visit your local fire station. Most of the time they have a few sets and if they aren't busy they likely allow you to use them in their shop or even help you out with what ever you need done.

I thought there must be some kind of crimper for that. Thanks for the name. I could almost buy a set of 2-link chains for what they want for the pliers, but at least I know how it’s done now.

Thank you both.
Yeah, the price of decent pliers. $125US, gotta fix a lot of chains to justify that.

Back