IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
I'm not certain what size fits a 6-12 tire. I have never tried to install one of my 23x8.5-12 chains sets on a 6-12 tire so I can't say if it will fit OK. I would think it would wrap to far down the sidewall.

Here's a place that sells tire chains that has them listed for 6-12 tires, that I found by searching hte internet. Don't know anything about them just found by searching.

6-12 Tire Chains

dschwandt

IHCC Supporter
displayname
David Schwandt
I have some boxes of new short cross links that may be usable to make a set for the skinny tires.
Measure across your tires and consider whatever additional length you need for cross links.
Meanwhile, I'll try to find the new ones and get a measurement for you.

dfrisk

displayname
Dennis Frisk
There " MAY BE" a situation that 4-link chains may be better than 2-link chains, but I haven't found that situation yet, My first set of chains were nylon straps with tough plastic cross bars with two tungsten carbide " studs" exactly like what's used in studded tires. I got them the day AFTER the first big snow I tried to clear with my QA-36 snow blower on my #72 Cub Cadet. The plastic crossbars did not scratch my Brand New concrete driveway, and just the lightest marks from the studs. I used them for several years.
The last set of chains I bought were used ATV chains. Tire chain sizing is a " Relative" thing, what works best is the adjustments made after the chains are put on.
SON and I were clearing all the snow late winter of 2006, Super H had chains and 600# of rear wheel weights, the chains were about 200# more each, it was the year we had 101 inches of snow around Madison, I could really move snow. The M had 900# of wheel weights, but no chains, it really needed the chains put on. It would spin a rear wheel on the tiniest amount of snow and be stuck. Even being on grass or crushed rock really didn't seem to improve things much, but SON & I had great fun for 2 hours on two GREAT FARMALL tractors on a nice. brght sunny winter day. And we moved a HECK of a lot of snow!

ngs

Barry Musser

I have some boxes of new short cross links that may be usable to make a set for the skinny tires.
Measure across your tires and consider whatever additional length you need for cross links.
Meanwhile, I'll try to find the new ones and get a measurement for you.
I was rooting thru a box of old parts for that tractor and found the tire chains for it. The tractor was my grandfathers and I didn’t know that box existed until my dad pulled it out of his garage. There is all kind of parts for the old girl