• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

tire chain alternative

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john.knutson

displayname
John K
Hopefully this is appropriate for this section.

I am looking at getting some chains for plowing snow this winter, and came across "TerraGrips" which are like chains but thick rubber straps over the tires, much gentler on the surface below.

I have a paver driveway and parking area, so these caught my eye as something a bit gentler on the bricks.

Has anyone ever used or heard of these? I imagine chains are better but these seem promising, unless the cold hard flat rubber ends up slipping around...
51UlzVMn7iL._AC_SY400_.jpg

John, last winter (or it could have been the winter before) Charlie aka Digger tested a set of those with, if I recall, good results. I'll see if I can find his old post.

Edit: Found it!

Charlie's TerraGrip review

I have been looking at some Carlisle Tru Power tires for the rear to match my front tires, and I got to thinking.

If I had to pick between turf saver tires with TerraGrips or some aggressive/ag tires, which would perform better pushing snow?

I do have the ATV wheels/tires that came with the tractor when I purchased it, but they leave very little clearance between the tire and fender and I worry the wheel well would fill up with snow/ice.

Anyone have personal experience or preference between turf tires + "chains" or ag style tires in the snow?

Maximum traction would be with turf tires and chains AND weight. Best tire IMO for use in snow without chains would be HDAP type tires. Not sure what different sizes are available. I believe you can place spacers under the fender pan to gain an inch or so. I know a few guys have done this.

Carlisle HD Tires

In my experience with the Ag tires and chains, the chain falls into the gap of the tread and does nothing. Many fellas just add chains over the regular lawn tires and add some weight(s) and have no problems. My two cents.

Thanks for the insights! I'm thinking I'll spring for the TerraGrips and use the turf tires I already have. I can always try the ATV tires too.

My grandpa recently offered me his wheel weights and snowblower for free (jackpot!), so I just need to make the trip out to his pole shed in Wisconsin to pick them up. Hopefully one set of weights cuts it! The snowblower will probably have to stay at his place for now, though. I just don't have enough space for it to be stored or useful at my current house.

Just curious, what part of Wisconsin? I am in the Somerset area and work over by Hwy 280 and University Ave.

In my experience with the Ag tires and chains, the chain falls into the gap of the tread and does nothing. Many fellas just add chains over the regular lawn tires and add some weight(s) and have no problems. My two cents.
They make chains made for Ag. tires, so the above problem does not happen.
I prefer narrow Ag. tires (6-12) with chains versus wide turf tires with chains when pushing snow. Reason, my thinking is more weight on a narrow thread (footprint) vs the weight spread over a larger footprint.

They make chains made for Ag. tires, so the above problem does not happen.
I prefer narrow Ag. tires (6-12) with chains versus wide turf tires with chains when pushing snow. Reason, my thinking is more weight on a narrow thread (footprint) vs the weight spread over a larger footprint.
Yes, but they (Ag chains) seem even more expensive. And I've done the narrow tire concept too. In my experience the wider turf tire with the cub weights inside and out and chains are the way to go, again, that's what I've found to work best.
I haven't bothered to fluid fill the tires , haven't needed to.

Yes, Ag. tire chains are more expensive, but they are made for that tire. If you are using a ‘traditional turf tire’ chain on a Ag. tire is not going to work at optimal performance. There are tire chains made for each appreciate application. I live in an icy/snow/ozark mountains area, so my tire chain chose was made upon my area. Yours may be completely different than mine...so, everyone has there best choice. I respect your comments.

But, more weight on a narrow foot print will get you to solid footing quicker but may increase the chances of getting high centered and hung up.

Looks like a scenario whereby it is 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of another! ;) :)o_O

Got some wheel weights from my Grandpa at Thanksgiving. They are off his 782 which he has a snowblower for that he no longer uses. He offered the blower to me as well, but I don't have space for it or a need at my current house.

IMG_20191130_152235.jpg

One of the bolts was missing, so I picked up some galvanized carriage bolts from the local Ace. I guessed a bit long on the length needed (10" pictured), so I picked up some shorter ones (8") yesterday. I would have just cut them, but I wanted to maintain the factory end and avoid cutting/grinding galvanized.

If you were ever curious how much weight is too much, years ago Tim DeLooza decided to find out. If I recall he drove it out of his shop, once around the yard, then back into the shop and the rear rims were starting to bend.
icon_eek.gif

P1010038.JPG

P1010039.JPG

P1010040.JPG

Back