• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Tiller installation

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edale

displayname
Everett Dale
Firstly, Based on Wesley Westerfields recent post I'm thinking that I might be posting questions in the wrong location.

I have a Cub Cadet IH 982, made in (I think) 1982-3 Should I be posting in the "CCC and MTD Machines & Equipment" forum? Let me now and I will happily move there.

anyway...

Here is a tiller that is offered on Craigslist

http://spokane.craigslist.org/grd/1840126960.html

I was going to pick it up, but I'm not sure if I can operate it on my cub. I was looking over the tiller manual I have on CD and I see that there it a gearbox mounting frame needed. I don't have one of these, but I do have a gearbox from my snow thrower that looks about the same, If I can build a substitute frame can that gearbox be used. Also it looks like I'd need the Rear lifting lever (bell crank) which I'm finding difficult to get my hands on.

The other thing that looks important is the "Idler pulley assembly" on the front, but I'm pretty sure that is the same one that operates the mower deck.

So my questions are...

is it the same idler assembly on the front
will the gearbox for the thrower work
and where can I find a bell crank?
(oh yeah, Am I posting in the right section
happy.gif
)

thanks

-everett

Everett, you're posting in the right place. That tiller will not work on a 982. For a tiller for a 982 you'll want a CAT-0 tiller and you'll need the CAT-0 3 point rear lift AND the 2000 RPM PTO. Can you say expensive?
icon_eek.gif
Figure about $500 or so for the tiller, another $500 or so for the CAT-0 3 point lift and another $500 or so for the 2000 RPM rear PTO setup.

Many years ago Dan Hoefler modified one of that style tiller to work on his 2072 (very similar to the 982) But he still needed the CAT-0 rear 3 point lift and 2000 RPM rear PTO. I'd post photos but I'm doing currently a backup of my drive with all the photos.

Kraig, Is the tiller stuff Rob Dehli has for sale in the classified a miss print? I don't know, gear box and 1A tiller he says fits an 82 series.

No misprint, it's just that the 982 is a different animal than the other 82 series GTs. As are the 82 series Lawn Tractors, 182, 282 and 382 which it wouldn't fit either...
dizzy.gif

I thought of that a while after I wrote it, like I said, I didn't know. Thanks
happy.gif

Everett-

I would get it anyway and have it for a future cub or just buy a good running cub it will fit. You might also ask the seller if he has the gearbox and frame. If he's the original owner there's a good chance it's something he has forgotten about.

Just a thought...

Thanks for the info. Too Bad tho' I guess I'll stick with the self driven tiller I have. Now all I need to do is get a sleeve hitch set up for the 982. I'm still working out options for that.

-everett

Back