• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

TIG: The use of thoriated tungsten electrodes

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They haven't got you this far I wouldn't worry about it.
explotar2jr.gif

Michael - Me worried ? That'll be the day !
I've had something in my tool box for close to 30 years that had that radiation sticker on it. Well actually there were 3 pieces. I know one is still there ... not sure where the other two are. They're probably glowing around here somewhere ...

I just thought it was interesting that something I used everyday for years was radioactive but am just now hearing about it ... Now if it was LEAD there would have been a big CALIFORNIA lead warning sticker on it ! LOL
I don't care how radioactive they are , I'm not giving up TIG ... but my hands do shake to much now and I keep getting the tungsten in the weld.
lazerburn.gif

Probably more heavy metals inhaled/ingested from burning 6011 in my garage than sharpening thoriated tungsten..

Just went to the shop (here in FL) to look for something, see that two unopened packs of JB weld have leaked on the work bench... Must have gotten warm in there over the summer..

Although the Red Tip 2% "Thoriated" is the Most Harmful,,, It is Definitely THE Choice for ALL full time professional tig welders,,, Most durable and last longer especially when welding heavy thicker carbon stainless & chrome in the higher amperage ranges 200/300 amps!!!

If layed on your Radiation Dosimeter Badge for a few hours / over night, it will (and has
err.gif
) shown an elevated exposure level requiring the individual associated with that particular badge to be moved to a "Non Hot Work Area",,,,,

happy.gif

I'm 100% sure that I've inhaled more thoriated tungsten grinding dust than any one individual should be exposed to in 10 Lifetimes,,,,,
bash.gif
That could very well be the reason I'm so
screwloose.gif

For tinkering around in the Garage though, as Michael & Ide have stated,,, No Worries!!!
happy.gif

311774.jpg

311775.jpg

Back