• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Those &%$*! Roll Pins

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good stuff guys,no bolts,except in a emergency.I figure factory specs and the solid engineering is one reason these cubs have lasted so long.The pleasure in keeping these running,solving issues,usually out weighs a few problems ,its why we do this,and exchange these ideas.

Spiral pins are what they are, they work well, they are a pain to remove. Much better than them removing themselves. Because this would only happen while blowing snow on the coldest day in January, and it would happen while turning around at the furthest point away from your garage. I have no experience in this but I did have a front axle break while blowing snow in the midst of a road while turning around.

Same thing for a grade 8 bolt or grade 2, or whatever bolt you'd have. it would break at the other end of a Iowa field while plowing. Again this has not happened to me, if it did I would get the pleasure of a Deere pulling me back to my truck.

Patience, persistence, and maybe a little curing are the best methods to get these spiral pins out. using the previously mentioned tips help a bunch too.

When I bought my 149, it had a bolt in the driveshaft. I would typically shear off about once a season, leaving me stuck in the middle of the yard til I found another 1/4" grade 8 bolt long enough to work. I bought a handful and kept in my bolt bin. I then bought a new shaft and coupler from Charlie and use the correct pin. No issues now.

Friend bought a snow blower from Lowes, and it has the grade 2 bolt for the auger so that WHEN(not if) it jams, it shears the bolt. Again, you better have a large section of them in reserve!

Latest posts

Back