• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Those pesky pto set screws

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwstevens

displayname
Brian W. Stevens
Here is a picture of a spoiled set screw I successfully removed one outer and it's inner screw.
20210402_131219.jpg

DANG - wish my eyes would allow me to see those set screws as big as they are in the pic. For me it's usually a touchy/feelie thing and hoping the allen wrench slips in far enough to work getting them out.

I was lucky. First time I had to pull the PTO on my 149, the setscrews came out ok. Reading about the nightmare it can be, I used LOTS of never-seize on them when they went back in. (not so much as to leak onto the friction surfaces) I recall someone saying they always started with a fresh allen wrench. I look at the end of mine, and if it shows wear, grind off 1/8", back to unworn, making sure not to get it hot enough to heat-soften it. Replace when it no longer reaches in as far as it needs to. I wonder, why no-one has come up with replacement setscrews with TORX heads? The flank-drive system reduces wear . . .

I have all the set screws out threads saved and the clutch off.
20210402_162448.jpg
20210402_154812.jpg
20210402_163734.jpg
I used a carbide 1/8" drill to chase the last set screw out. Which thrust bushing is best to use the black fiber one or the bronze one ?

Bronze is best in my opinion. Just make sure you brad the stem on the other side so it won't fall out.

On the set screws, I use a pick and some spray cleaner to clean out the end of the set screws so the allen wrench will go all the way down in it.

Last edited:
The set screws were already damaged . One thing I will do the has never been done is to lube the main clutch pilot bearing and pto button before first use as the shiny surfaces might rust on occasionally used tractors. Thanks for the advice . I searched and read past posts on this forum all make the job much easier. Thanks guys !

Brian - just what the heck are you using to get the set screws out? That sure doesn't look like a T-handle allen wrench.

On the broken set screw that is a 12"- 1/4"hex dive extension in my impact driver and an 1/8" hex drive carbide steel cutting drill bit just in case it was hard. I need to buy a tee handle allen wrench. know a good brand as hardware stores here are all home owner junk.

Which thrust bushing is best to use the black fiber one or the bronze one ?

I bought a fibre one, and promptly broke it on install (i was just in too much of a hurry)...

Then, I purchased (5) Bronze 5/16"x 18 - 1" hex-head bolts (locally- less than $.50 each),
Rounded over then polished the heads in my drill press,
One has been in my tractor since may 2020... and shows NO wear at all.
I doubt I'll live long enough to use the other 4..

Could someone explain to me the fiber PTO buttons? I know about the bronze ones but don't think I've ever seen a fiber one.

Meanwhile, My 106 is still running the Factory Graphite button without issue.

The original button is a graphite fiber button Ihc even used the same material in the cub 154 main clutch throw out bearing. My 106 has a graphite button that is wore cup shaped . No real hurry to change it but since I own three tractors that use the same clutch just looking for shelf stock.

Last edited:
Those pesky PTO set screws are what made me aware at 12 years old that I was a better mechanic than my father...He was much better than I at many other things...He asked me to try to get that danged PTO off that he had been fighting for a couple of weekends, so I went after it, and got the screws out, and the pulley off. As I recall the thing had been run loose before we got it, and was beat up all kind of ways.

I now turn wrenches for a living on US made printing presses mostly on Allen bolts (we call them socket head cap screws). One of our applications even has two set screws stacked in the same hole to keep reminding me of the Cub Cadet PTO.

I still remember the day Dad came home with that used 124 with the stunned look on his face mumbling about he had paid less for some of his best used cars. (I think he had done better haggling at the used car lots too.) That was 1974 or so.

wash set screw hole out with brake clean first then use penetrating oil (mopar) let sit 2 hours reuse brake clean to wash out rust then penetrating oil and repeat a number of times

Here is a pic of the set screws I removed hopefully you can see the hairline crack in each one. They are all scrap.
20210404_172116.jpg

I have all the set screws out threads saved and the clutch off. View attachment 142864View attachment 142865View attachment 142866I used a carbide 1/8" drill to chase the last set screw out. Which thrust bushing is best to use the black fiber one or the bronze one ?
When you said "chase the last screw out" are you using a reverse bit or just drilling through the set screw with the bit to the inner shaft breaking it up. I have a couple set screws that are stripped.

I drilled the screw with a right hand cutting bit. Sometimes you can sharpen the end of a torx bit and tap it in a stripped allen .

Latest posts

Back