• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

these old cubs are like the old harleys

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cub1961

stuff just falls off. lol. had a spark plug blow out of one the other day and today another one blew the muffler off. good thing is that the threads are fine in both cases. i guess the vibration just loosens stuff up. live and learn i guess. going to start doing a pre-ride check from now on. any suggestions on what to put on the threads of the muffler? was just going to use anti-seize

I've never had a properly torqued spark plug come loose.

I woudl definitely use anti-seize on the muffler threads.

ya i’m thinking this one was not torqued properly. i got the tractor as a package deal and while it is nice, it appears to have been put back together kind of poorly. i’ll be going over all the fasteners before i take it out again. it is about 3rd in line for a refurb

"these old cubs are like the old harleys"

In so very many ways.
Heavy.
Last - in principal - forever.
Vibration, as noted.
Collectable.
Ferociously defended by the devout.
Shockingly practical in the long-term.
Easily customized, cobbed-up and otherwise Bubba'd.
Each has a way of creating a *colector* out of an enthusiast. usually pointed out later to the principal by an outside observer.
Also, a great many end up spending a fair amount of time on trailers being paraded around.

Exclude the vibration aspect and Moto Guzzi's rock the analogy as well. Or so *outside observers* keep telling me.

"these old cubs are like the old harleys"

In so very many ways.
Heavy.
Last - in principal - forever.
Vibration, as noted.
Collectable.
Ferociously defended by the devout.
Shockingly practical in the long-term.
Easily customized, cobbed-up and otherwise Bubba'd.
Each has a way of creating a *colector* out of an enthusiast. usually pointed out later to the principal by an outside observer.
Also, a great many end up spending a fair amount of time on trailers being paraded around.

Exclude the vibration aspect and Moto Guzzi's rock the analogy as well. Or so *outside observers* keep telling me.
As an owner of a 45 yr old Harley an amen seems appropriate..Fired up yesterday after being shut down for 2 yrs...what a unique sound!!!

As an owner of a 45 yr old Harley an amen seems appropriate..Fired up yesterday after being shut down for 2 yrs...what a unique sound!!!
That's another aspect. My wife sincerely enjoys certain motor sounds; our 7.3 Power Stroke, any one of several Moto Guzzis (notably excluding the 750), the Harley, Scout, Land Rover and significantly... the almost hit&miss sound of the iron Kohler idling.

Todd,hell yes to the lady...I'm about Harleys,any hit/miss,even a nice muffled flathead v8...and how slow can I make an old 1 lunger tick...
It's true. Most any flat-head/side valve sounds sweet in its own way.
Another is the inlet-over-exhaust in my Willys. A GREAT idle to1,800 rpm sound.

Too, one must never ignore fine induction draw. That's a great sound as well.

Back