• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

These mowers loosing peoples interest ?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubs4lifeofme

Besides us that love the old style mowers are the majority of people buying zero turn mowers ? Seems like alot of these style mowers on the marker very reasonable...Or do they just not know quality ?

My son went the Zero-turn route to save time. He's got about 4 acres to cut with lots of trees. He cut his mowing time by more than half, from close to 5 hours using a garden tractor to just about 2 hours. Ground speed of the Zero turn is alot faster.

Besides us that love the old style mowers are the majority of people buying zero turn mowers ? Seems like alot of these style mowers on the marker very reasonable...Or do they just not know quality ?
I refurb mowers and I'm asked for zeros a lot.They do seem to be faster and certainly the turning radius is a huge point but....they (in general) appear to be much higher priced so there is still a good market for "old style"

Can't plow snow with a zt mower. But Harry does your son own a real cub cadet?:roflol:

Can't plow snow with a zt mower. But Harry does your son own a real cub cadet?:roflol:

Lew - my son with the ZT lives in the Seattle area and no he doesn't own a Cub Cadet BUT there is one in his garage (at least it better be there). It hardly ever snows in the Seattle area so he doesn't have snow removal equipment EXCEPT THIS YEAR they did have a terrible storm and got about 14". It really didn't matter tho since the town doesn't plow the roads either. He does have a 4WD pick-up so he still gets around.

People not necessarily loosing interest. But the speed (ground and turning) is the biggest thing. I have been an IH Cub Cadet lover for over 40 years. Between Dad and I we have 12 Cub Cadets. 11 IH Wideframe Hydros (149's 1450's, 1650's, 782's) and 1 (mine) CC ULTIMA ZT1 54". Up until last spring I did EVERYTHING with an IH CC (1450 or 1650) including mowing duty. My house sits on a cul-de-sac so I have a "pie shaped" yard. Nothing is straight, I have trees and other obstacles in the yard. With the 1x50 and 44a deck, it would take me at least 1.5 hours, sometimes more depending on grass conditions. I walked by the display at HD and kinda mumbled "One of those would be faster".... Momma told me to go look at them, as I am not getting any younger, and that time is short right now...and the time you save with one of those would help in other areas. I went through the whole argument of of the tractors do just fine... they are already paid for... I enjoy using them...... but that planted a seed the grew... LOL.. I started actually looking, and found the ZT1 54" and liked it.. fabbed deck and Kohler engine. I still debated.... then the worst thing happened... CC ran a sale..... I went to my local CC dealer to look..... well I looked right into the ZTR. The 1st time I mowed with it I was sold. That 1.5 hours was just over 30 minutes.... after a couple mowings and I was used to it, it was 30 minutes max... There is another property that I sometimes mow, that would take 2.5+ hours on the tractor. If the grass was tall, at least 3... I mowed it with the ZTR and had to go slow, because it was almost too tall for the ZTR.... even going "slow" it took 1 hour......

My IH CC's aren't going anywhere.... I still have everything to mow with them..... plus all the other attachments that the ZTR could never do... but if both were sitting in the garage ready to mow.... I would get on the ZTR every time!!!!

I too have RTZ-S 54” it makes short work of the 4+ acres I Cut I have a Cub Lo Boy 154 with a 60” deck, and a Cub 109. I think the zero turns are great machines, they definitely save time. I use them all depends on the time I have. But I long for the days when I have time just to use the 109 and enjoy the ride.

ok, but will the ZTR'S Still be reliable in 30 years ?
As we all know a lot of life in a machine is maintainance.I had a drive wheel apart to replace a seal on a cub zt.IT had 800 hrs on it,not bad for a seal(not great either).I was impressed at the quality of components and the wear factors that showed.The great thing about hydraulics is they don't rust or corrode inside. The frame on the zt was very rugged as well...With good care I do believe some of zts will doing 30 yrs... Average 40 hrs a yr for 30 is 1200 hrs...just an opinion.....

ok, but will the ZTR'S Still be reliable in 30 years ?

Depending on the machine, but yes, I think it's possible that they could be. Depends on use and maintenance. My ULTIMA is built well. The frame is welded "box" steel and powder coated. The fabbed deck is fairly thick and heavy also. Mine has a twin Kohler with an oil filter, so pressure lubrication... Mine should see 15-20 hours of use a year, spo to get to 1000 hours that would be 50 years.... (I'd be 97)..... But, take this same machine, and use it commercially, where it might see 8 hours a DAY of use,. then no I don't think it would be around in 30 years. But take an old CC and run it 8+ hours a day and see how long it lasts... I can assure you there were IH CC's that were used for a commetcial application, and they were "used up" long a go too...

I bought a Husqvarna ZT to mow my couple of acres. It took forever with a conventional machine. The ZT is a blast to drive, and it's so fast I only log about 15 hours a season. Considering the commercial hydro motors have a 500 hour service interval, I won't live long enough to even change the oil in them. Of course, the thing was brutally expensive. I would have saved money just paying somebody to mow my lawn, but I like doing it (and everything else) my self.

The only thing a ZT does well is mowing grass. It's useless for towing anything, and ground-engaging attachments are out of the question. I tried towing a spreader, and it just doesn't work. I have a few old CC's I play with, and they excel at towing stuff. Different tools for different jobs. The CC's are mostly a hobby, but they do earn their keep. I have a full-size old farm tractor for plowing/discing/post holes/grading/ and large scale spreader applications.

Basically my approach. I have a Ferris 21 hp, 48 inch cut to mow approximately 2 acres. The cub will be for pulling a trailer and log splitter. Also the cub is a hobby and a great opportunity to participate in a great forum with good people.

Yes, a zero turn just mows fast, that's all. Being made to mow as a young'un, kinda took the fun out of it.
For those who love to putt around mowing the grass, a cub cadet is the way to go. I prefer to get done quickly.
However, there's nothing like hitching up the plow and turning some dirt with a cub! :bluethumbsup:
Can't comment on snow removal, we don't have snow around here. LOL
that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :errrr:

I had a Woods Mow and Machine. Very nice, the Diesel version. Mowed with it once and then sold it. Rather have my 1572.

Back