• FIRST AND LAST NAMES ARE REQUIRED WHEN REGISTERING

The steps on replacing the wiring harness on a 107.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

I have a 107 that runs fine. It will start right up idle and run for about 30 to 40 minutes then it dies I have checked and I am not getting voltage to the battery I believe part of the problem is the original wiring it’s very brittle I can obviously see corroded exposed wires so I have purchased a brand new wiring harness and a brand new voltage regulator my questions it is this seems to be a pretty straight forward process but are there any suggestions, shortcuts or anything I need to be aware of during a wiring harness replacement additionally I’ve seen several posts and videos on how I should touch a positive wire to the voltage regulator and do this and that. I do have the manual but I don’t know that I’ve seen anywhere about once I replace voltage regulator battery and wiring harness that I need to do anything beyond that any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated thank you

mfrade

displayname
Mike Frade
Back in the "OLD DAYS" the voltage regulator had to be polarized. But that is no longer needed. Once you turn the key on the first time, it will be polarized, (hint - double check / verify each wire is properly connected before connecting the battery. And clean grounds, make sure there is no paint, rust, debris or dirt between wire connector and metal connections.

Back in the "OLD DAYS" the voltage regulator had to be polarized. But that is no longer needed. Once you turn the key on the first time, it will be polarized, (hint - double check / verify each wire is properly connected before connecting the battery. And clean grounds, make sure there is no paint, rust, debris or dirt between wire connector and metal connections.
Thank you for the help

mgonitzke

displayname
Matt Gonitzke
It's not "back in the old days"...it's because it is a starter/generator. A plain generator would still need to be polarized.

Cubbie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Porch lover
I have a 107 that runs fine. It will start right up idle and run for about 30 to 40 minutes then it dies I have checked and I am not getting voltage to the battery I believe part of the problem is the original wiring it’s very brittle I can obviously see corroded exposed wires so I have purchased a brand new wiring harness and a brand new voltage regulator my questions it is this seems to be a pretty straight forward process but are there any suggestions, shortcuts or anything I need to be aware of during a wiring harness replacement additionally I’ve seen several posts and videos on how I should touch a positive wire to the voltage regulator and do this and that. I do have the manual but I don’t know that I’ve seen anywhere about once I replace voltage regulator battery and wiring harness that I need to do anything beyond that any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated thank you
Hey, has it been solved? It would be nice to know how you fixed it.

Hey, has it been solved? It would be nice to know how you fixed it.
It has not I don’t have a garage so I work outside and the temperature dropped down to the 30s not that I can’t work out in that weather I just don’t want to it’s gonna be in the 40s and 50s this weekend hopefully with no rain so I’m gonna start the wiring swap process hopefully Saturday

cub1961

just make sure all connection points are clean, the harness is not going to hit any hot or spinny stuff and most important, hook the battery up last. i hook everything up except for the battery ground to frame and that i temporarily connect with a pair of vise grips for quick disconnect in case of smoke, etc. i learned this lesson the hard way and melted a harness before i could get it all disconnected. other than that its easy. worst part is trying to get the wrenches to work inside of the dash. not much room in there. i use the gear wrench wrenches for tight stuff like that.

just make sure all connection points are clean, the harness is not going to hit any hot or spinny stuff and most important, hook the battery up last. i hook everything up except for the battery ground to frame and that i temporarily connect with a pair of vise grips for quick disconnect in case of smoke, etc. i learned this lesson the hard way and melted a harness before i could get it all disconnected. other than that its easy. worst part is trying to get the wrenches to work inside of the dash. not much room in there. i use the gear wrench wrenches for tight stuff like that.
Thank you will use your advic. I looked at the dash and was thinking it was going to be a tight fit and any nuts or bolts that were going to be rusted we’re going to be under there lol

cub1961

another thing i use is the telescoping magnet things that look like a car antenna. harbor freight sell’s them for 5 or so bucks. not only are they great for picking up dropped stuff in tight spots, you can also use them to magnetize the heads of bolts while you are fiddling with washers and nuts on the other side. mine paid for itself the first day. great for working alone