• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

The Perfect Plow Tractor?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, that was Matt,
291884.jpg

Paul B.
Plowing deep
291885.jpg

Steve, Bryan had his 169 there not his (actually Julie's) 1450.

291892.jpg

Ken Updike and Little Steven discussing proper tractor ballast for plowing....
291902.jpg

Little Steven off to look for parts....
291903.jpg

And finally, explaining how to properly adjust a Brinly plow!
291904.jpg

All from Jonathan's plow day...

Time to resurrect this thread! It is hard to believe it is nearly two years since I started it and you all chimed in. My oldest son Caleb now really enjoys plowing and my daughter even got into the action last fall at BC II. I'm really looking forward to BPD X and I have several PD's between now and then that I'm planning in participating in. Which brings me back to this post. I've plowed with a 782 and a 125 as my only real experience plowing with a hydro tractor. Most everything else that I've used or owned has been GD. Well, I bought a tractor for my son Caleb specifically to set up for him for plowing. It is a 107 repowered with a 16hp vtwin Briggs. It is a cool tractor with a little older restoration. I wish it was a GD but for the time being I want to use it for plowing as is. If I can't get it to plow like I would like, I'll change it to GD. So, what can I do to "tighten" up the hydro control? Since this tractor is only to be used for plowing, can I add extra spacers to really take the slack out of the cam and trunnion plates? Also, is it worth it to tighten up the linkage in the S/R lever? I remember being annoyed by the fact that when plowing on the 125, I had to keep steady full pressure against the S/R lever to move forward when it was plowing hard. Is this something that one has to live with or can the handle be set as mentioned above to keep it moving steady only making adjustments as needed to change ground speed or if changing ground conditions warrant? I think that he'll have good power with the BS 16, so now we just need to get it to the ground. Since it has the external brakes, is it worth making a modification to dual brakes or no? Those of you that have them, how often do you find yourself using them while plowing? I'm open to any other suggestions that you regular Hydro "plowers" have.

I'm looking for a great season in the dirt! Hopefully we can kick it off in a good fashion...
308257.jpg

While the Wheatland's a sheer brute ahead of any plow, I'm excited to try out the 782 that just passed two season's worth of break-in.

308259.jpg

It's an IH built 782 stripped bare and rebuilt with Super Steer axle, power steering, twin spool hydraulics, and a CH20 engine. All hoses and wires are new. Driveshaft is the newer-iteration of the CV-style drive with the little blue elastomer "barrels" and runs silky-smooth. The muffler originally in an 1864 had the baffles removed and packed with glass wool is really throaty. The tires are the old Dico Tru-Power (pre-dating Carlisle and Titan's purchase of the molds) and the fronts are V61's that wrap around adjustable-tread (and adjustable width) rims.

Its become the daily driver around my place keeping the Wheatland, Grandpa's 682, and the original "Mini 5488" parked. I'd hasten to say that it uses about 1/4 of the fuel that my old 169 did and has every bit of power and torque (arguably more!).

Wyatt--that is a beauty for sure! Are you planning to have that gem at BPD X this fall? I like everything I see in that pic except the yellow deck
bottom.gif
. Doesn't go too well with all that red, grey, and black. However, I know the fact of putting the attachment on that fits, in spite of the finish when you are putting a great tractor to work. I sure hope you'll be at Bluniers, I'd like to see that in person. If you make the trip and you can bring it, I'd like to see that Wheatland too! Looks like you have a second great plowing machine! One GD and one Hydro! Best of both worlds.

Mr Plow -

Who is that in the <font color="119911">green</font> hat, ken folk?
Or an innocent bystander who just stepped off that green & yellow machine to get a better look? His stance portrays a combination of bewilderment and disbelief!
happy.gif

There's a lot of green & yellow in your dust.
thumbsup.gif

Just a bystander at the Penfield show. ......for some reason that rig has that affect on people......couldn't begin to guess why.....
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Jealous of you fellows that have plowdays close!! I guess I just need to load up and head east sometime. Plan to do more things once my kids are grown.

Randy

Randy L. There is a Fall Plow Day neat Burlington, Iowa. Everything from horses to bigger vintage farm tractors and garden tractors. I'll have to find out the dates.

BTW,

Little Steven is now 6 feet tall, almost 16, and working on finishing his Eagle Scout project.......looooooong way from those pics below, yet the time has gone by quickly!!!!! He may have to miss PD this year due to a marching band competition...band dad needs to duck out to play PD host, but he has to "march on!"

Steve, what? 6' tall and nearly 16!
icon_eek.gif
Wow, last time I saw him I think he was well under 5' tall. Where has the time gone?

Joshua, I plowed at BCII and my 1450 did alright, my plow was not set right at the time. I had to tighten up the hydro handle underneath the dash, but your 107 is different. I'm not familiar with hydro narrow frames in that respect. 105 and 125 I worked on we didn't mess with hydro too much. 125 had the same issue as your talking about. Once I tightened my 1450 its been fine. I pulled an 'M' out of a barn for a friend with it 2 weeks ago. Ran out of weighted traction, those tru powers really bit in though!!
I'm looking to buy another set before winter.

I've not found the need for turning brakes, even on a JD 140 I used once. Hydro lift would be a great addition on the 107, my strong arm on 1200 can get tiring

Earl F. I like the hydraulics on the 782D for lifting and the hydro but, I'd like to use the 14 horse power 108 and plow with a gear drive. I'm actually thinking of installing an electric lift. I'm getting too old to strong arm things.

Marlin, dad agrees with you on the strong arm. He likes my 1450 for both hydro drive and lift. If anyone wants to build the"perfect" plow tractor I'd simply suggest the hydro lift or powered lift of some kind. Especially if your pulling a 12 inch plow!

Earl F. The friend that sold me my "new" 8' x 10' also gave me a rear wheel weight for a big farm tractor. I remember being able to lift something like that without any help. Used to let another friend's two boys hang from my extended arms. Both were 100 pounds each. Sadly those days are over so now I have to get more creative handling things. One of the reasons the snow thrower is still on the Keepsake 1650. I'm getting accustomed for a Cub Cadet for every job.
happy.gif

Back