• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

The day finally came!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1. Great job, Jim. It looks great.

Does the engine have a header that feeds into 1 exhaust port? For some reason I am thinking that it is a 3-cylinder.

Jim,
Nice lookin' tractor. I can smell the diesel, mmmmm........... That paint looks like glass. Love the V's on the front. I'll give ya an A++++ on the resto/repaint!
drool.gif
1AA_dance2.gif

I have been trying to remember to tell the fellow diesel people about the battery I used. I was worried with the hood hitting the standard lawn and garden battery. So I went to NAPA and they found me a side post gel battery with 375cca. So far its worked good. The only problem with is the terminals are reversed. it isn't as wide but it is a little thicker. I believe it a Harley battery. Or some sort of MC battery. Hope this help those that was wondering. Jim

Very nice job Jim. Its been a long road but well worth it. Mine is my number one mower and just sips fuel.

I have some question on my 782d.I went to start it and it wont fire. I am getting fuel to the injectors glow plugs are working. Just get a bunch of white smoke with a hint of gray. It started to start hard last year when I brought I went to load it when I was loading it coming home from a show. A few times yesterday I just gave it a quick whiff of ether, didn't make a difference. it will pop once in awhile but nothing. anybody got any ideas?

Electric fuel pump should be checked. Dad and I just has same issue on one of his diesels. Also check both filters

Jim,
I agree with Steve. Pull the fuel line off before the final filter. Turn the key and see what kind of fuel flow you have from the electric pump. If the flow isn't very good, you could have a bad pump or plugged filter, plugged screen in the fuel tank. Go easy with the ether. I don't use ether on my glowplug diesels, but that is just my opinion. Good luck!
beerchug.gif

Ether and plugs is a bad combo....

well the electric pump is pumping, new filters and got all the air out and still no fire. it will hit a little more often but wont take off. just loaded it on the trailer going to Kubota with it in the morning. wonder if it could have jumped time?

Doea the pump have strong fuel FLOW or just humming?

Strong flow. I don't know how to explain it but I mad a heck of a mess in the shop in no time @ all.

For some reason I'm thinking the glow plugs are damaged due to using ether. I've NEVER used ether on glow plugs and remember a lot of mechanics telling me that same thing when I was a kid (I'm now 63 1/2). Here is my simple thoughts on how I always start my 782D with the original glow plugs in it. If it is cold at all, I simply plug in the heater. BEFORE I had some of those battery tenders, I would use another running tractor to help boost the battery if it was somewhat weak from sitting awhile. I'd go by the recommendation on the decal on the underneath of the hood for glow plug time before trying the starter. The extra charge from the running tractor helped while the glow plugs heated up and didn't drain the battery for starting.

I believe I'd be purchasing a new set of glow plugs. You're not getting the inside area pre-heated enough. Thus the white smoke and occassional gray smoke. Your G-Plugs are now bad.

Sounds like the electric fuel pump is working and the lines/filters are clear. You said you have fuel at the injectors Jim, I assume you loosened them and were getting fuel? So you have fuel. How about air? Air filter/housing clear and free flowing? I've seen 'em plugged before causing symptoms like this. If the air system is clean, then you have fuel/air. So then check the glow plugs to see if they are working as Steve and Marlin suggested. How's the battery? Gotta have plenty of charge/juice to glow the plugs and spin it over fast enough. It could seem like it's turning over fast, but not fast enough. Maybe give the battery a good charge and see if that changes anything.

Battery charger was on it the whole time. And I will guarantee this problem was happing before the ether. I pulled the air hose off the intake to make sure the new filter(less than ten hours total run time) wasn't plugged. Voltage @ the plugs were 12.1 to 12.4 with out charger on and 13.3 to 13.6 with it on. And yes I loosened each injector and bled them while cranking it. It dose have the gear reduction starter on it and seems to turn over fine. Haven't ran a compression check yet. Like I said I do have it loaded and really thinking about taking it to the Kubota dealer in the morning. After being clear threw this thing I am about ready to beat it to small parts. I know its something stupid but what? Thanks Jim

Jim,
Trying to cover all bases here, but is the fuel shutoff opening correctly? Is the throttle opening up correctly? Seen them stick before. Just thinking out loud........Trying to hit all the usual suspects and simple stuff first. I know of a guy recently that was having this issue with a 1572. Troubleshot everything he and others could think of. Ending up needing the pump rebuilt. Not saying this is the issue, since it doesn't happen very often on these Kubotas. How many hours on it? Still thinking it's a fuel related issue. You hit it with a little ether and she popped with the ether. Not getting fuel, not getting preheated, or low compression(although it sounds like the starting issue came on quickly)............
1a_scratchhead.gif

I would go through and adjust the valves and check your injector pump timing.after I adjust my valves the tractor started easier and sounded different . the valves were way off from what they were to be set at .

Back