• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

The day finally came!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just my .02 worth of diagnostics. First thing I would do once you are convinced that you have good fuel delivery to the injection pump is check the stop lever to make sure it is moving to the full fuel position. Next I would check the glow plugs individually if you are sure you have at least 12 VDC to the plugs. Remove the buss bar from the plugs,put a jumper wire or a test light on the positive battery cable or post. Touch the terminal of each plug, with the jumper wire you should get a very slight arc, with the test light the lamp should light. It is just to test the continuity of the glow plug. You can also use an inline ammeter, each plug should draw between 5 and 7 amps. You could also pull the plugs and put them across a 12 VDC source, the should glow like a cigarette lighter after 10 to 15 seconds. As long you have the plugs out I would definitely take a compression check, that eliminates everything internal in the engine. Minimum is 275 psi for each cylinder after 5 compression strokes. New spec is over 400, closer to 450 psi. Didn't mean to get this long winded but you need to go back to the basics. The compression check is the most valuable test there is on a small diesel, because without compression there is NO fire. Ether does not burn like fuel, it EXPLODES. Good way to break rings and score cylinders, it gets pushed down alongside the piston on compression stroke and the damage goes from there. I work on Kubota engines daily,have been since 1981 when the equipment manufacturer we are a dealer for switched from Perkins to Kubota.

I worked in a kubota shop for a few years went thru the schools and my guess is and from my own experience with a 782d is you have low compression on 1 or more cylinders all 3 have to be very close to factory specs in order for it to start and run kubota engines have very tight tolorences
wink.gif

Charlie I done that and unhooked the glow plug relay first. And not a thing changed. and its now in the hands of the dealer. Because I was on the verge of beating it in to small red dots. And no I didn't fog the engine, believe it or not I do have a very good concept of how a engine works. and have also seen the bad side of using ether. It has its place in small doses.(unless mounting a hard tubeless tire then it takes a little more)lol. Thank you for all that have tried to help me with it. Will let you know what they say when they call. I was just @ my point of all I could take. After you go clear threw on from stem to stern and after ten hours I was way way passed P O. thanks again Jim

JIm H. Believe me when I say that ALL of us feel your hurt and frustration. If it were the new exhaust then there would be an awful lot of IH tractors out there with those straight pipes that wouldn't be starting. I just don't want see any garden tractor beat to pieces. I've seen that done to a 1966 Buick Wildcat when after the guy wore the battey down he went to the trunk, took out the tire iron and broke every window in the car. Then it still wouldn't start. With Joseph Pearson and Chris Westfall now involved, we're getting together a great team of troubleshooters. Once things are figured out then we need to find a way to sum everything up and put it into the FAQ section. Until then we'll keep saying prayers that your problem isn't expensive and that you soon have your 782D back and running like it should.
happy.gif

Oh and then was the fella that bought a brand new 4x4 Chevy pickup. Took it out mudding and after getting it stuck and almost blowing up the engine... He went to the glove compartment and took out a big hand gun and shot the engine and the rest of the truck full of bullet holes. Did the same with a nice Harley Davidson. Wouldn't start in his driveway. Wore down the battery, tired of trying to kick start it. Went to the garage and found a crowbar and beat everything to junk. ...After doing all of that. It still wouldn't start.

With all this said... Hang in there. We're here for you.
295012.gif
295013.gif

<center>Jim, please note, I am not making fun of your starting issues! When you mentioned beating your 782D into small red dots, I thought of this:</center>

<font size="+2"><center>Basil Attacks His Car</center></font>

Marlin,
Now why did you fill that truck and Harley with bullet holes?
err.gif

Jim,
I'm curious to see what they find out. I'm hoping it is something simple and cheap for ya. You did an awesome job on the 782D and we feel your frustration. These diesels are awesome little tractors. And usually bulletproof. (pun intended for Marlin).
Shotgun.gif
happy.gif

Josh S. I came across that Wildcat with a 401 4 barrel near Redfield, Iowa at a local automobile and other stuff collector. I grew up with Buicks and my folks had a 1965 Wildcat. Sweet cars. It was given to Rusty after the fella knocked out the windows. I tried to buy the engine only we couldn't agree upon a price. A former Barilla co-worker told me of the truck and Harley guy. In all cases my thoughts are, "What a waste. AND those guys are still running loose." The only gun I ever owned my oldest or youngest son now has. They no longer fascinate. I've witnessed what one can do with them.
happy.gif
That is why I've offered to buy that 782D rather than see it beat to pieces. Like you stated about seeing the carnage on a 560 Diesel using ether with glow plugs, hopefully the valves aren't bent or broken rings/pistons.

My oldest brother got his kicks out of shutting the 1952 Buick's engine off for about fifteen to twenty seconds while doing fifty miles an hour down the road and letting the Dynaflow transmission remain in gear. Then he'd hit the key and there would be a loud BANG!!! Car's engine didn't last too long after he started doing that. He laughed and my folks ended p buying the new Wildcat. Upon removing the heads and seeing the valves literally bent sideways, my Dad blamed his best friend who had recently done a valve job on the car for doing a lousy job.

Well the 782d is back to life. number 2 exhaust valve was way out of specks and the injector line were broke @ the feral on the injectors on one and 3.Which I may have done that last year trying to bleed it. Guess I should have knew when I had to really tighten them to get them to stop seeping fuel. So 2 new fuel lines and a complete valve adjustment and it back to life. Glow plugs tested and worked fine. The ether DID NOT cause any damage. Thanks to those that tried to help. Thanks again Jim

Jim...Glad to hear it wasn't anything major. You put to much heart and soul into that tractor to beat it into pieces...
err.gif

Well Jim I`am happy to see you have your tractor running again . I thought my suggestion on valve adjustment was not believed could cause a no start . but I knew it can . Next will be a turbo on my 1512 . well as soon as Frank C sends it over I will get at it. have fun with that diesel .

Jim H. Glad to hear that it is up and running and that you were extremely lucky with the ether this time. Food for thought... Maybe just perhaps maybe the ether did cause those valves to be knocked around a little bit.

Donald T. Absolutely no one doubted you and we are glad that you suggested checking the valves. Using ether does cause an explosion and that force has to go somewhere. Like the Big time Farmer's 1456... Unforunately that explosion was enough to cause major damage.

I'm just very happy to see that no major damage was caused.
happy.gif
My thoughts are to still use the ether for cleaning parts and once the can is gone to not buy another.

Jim,
It's hard to put our failures and frustrations out there to be seen and critiqued. So thank you.
If nothing else,you've given me incentive to adjust my valves in the near future.
Glad that your diesel is running again!

PS. I have never in my life bought a can of Ether....ever.
aaaa_tongue2.gif

Jim
I think the kobota diesels are over built for it`s time much like Cubs are . they can be fustrating sometimes to get them dialed in. But the rewards are worth the effort I know. You have come so far with all the great work you have done with your Cubs . I envy your abilities and wish you could share them so I could build a better Cub. thanks to your efforts more can see what we know is possible.

Got the tractor back a week ago runs great and starts even better. One ole boy @ that worked on it tried to buy it. It runs a lot better than it ever did. I am wondering though about turning the fuel up? I am building some tillage eqt for it. It seems like every thing else I built I want to turn it up. Now my question is do I need to take it back to Kubota to have that done or what tools do I need? and how much is to much? It hardly smokes @ all now even under load. Just wondered what you guys thought. Thanks Jm

Jim,

Screw is hard to get at, but easy to adjust. Remove cap nut and back out about 1 turn. I have my turbo backed out 1-1/2 turns.

Screw is under the throttle linkage on back side of pump, facing opeat or station.

Latest posts

Back