• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

The day finally came!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim H. If you're to the point of (quote;) "After being clear threw this thing I am about ready to beat it to small parts.", then STOP and definitely take it to the Kubota dealer. When one loses patience they don't think logically. Your glow plugs could have been going bad for some time. What I am using to help think things through is the same as the others trying to help out... We aren't there so we're going by "ear." Now think.... It turns over very quickly and you see white smoke with an occassional puff of gray. That alone is a nice sympton of things not being hot enough for ignition to take place. Keep us posted though please.
happy.gif
Hopefully it truly is a minor thing. If not I may be in the market for another 782D. My oldest son needs one for his collection. Once you get it back I'd suggest using the ether can for cleaning parts.

FwIW, new plugs are about $7ea on line.....

Take a breathe Jim, Take a ride on one of your other 10 Cubs for some Zen time, throw the ether in your neighbor garbage on your ride.

It will all work out.
But if it doesn't after you beat it to pieces would you mind if I call dibs on your gear reduction starter?
joker.gif

Took it to the dealer today. They told me that my exhaust stack is my problem. Although they didn't even try to start it. And I also find that hard to believe. I have run many things from lawn tractors to semis with straight pipe. never once caused a problem. Wait and see I guess.
Paul, No I did not try that just used the charger. With a chance of sounding like a idiot what would that prove? I always figures a charger on boost would be the most I could put in a battery. Thanks all for trying to help. If you cant tell this one has me a bit mad. Kinda funny I just thought of this. But exactly a year ago today is when I started working on it but had to stop due to my wife. Thanks again Jim

put that in your pipe and smoke it,, why would the pipe do it

I am just reporting what the man said. I in no way believe that for a second.

No offense, but sounds to me you might as well pick it back from the dealer now. If his first response is "the straight pipe" then the guy clearly can't see past anything that isn't factory. I get the feeling your going to get a big "diagnosic" bill with a side order of "put all these $$$ factory Kubota parts on it."

DO NOT authorize ANY part to be placed on your cub without written notification that it WILL fix your starting problem.

I feel your better off taking it to the local diesel tech school or diesel shop. At least those guys know how to tune things...

Just remember that Steve said glow plugs are $7 ea online. Make sure you compare that to the price they stick you with when they put a new set in there.

I've never heard of the pipe thing either.

Marlin,
We believe you. I mentioned it being bad, Steve seconded it, and you agreed as well. I have seen the damage ether does to pistons, rods, rings in glow plug engines, hence that 560D I was talking about. Ether is volatile stuff. I've used ether on the bigger IH's, 1206's 1456's etc. We were taught to start spinning over the engine and then hit the ether button. This distributes it to more than one cylinder and "waters" it down some. I've seen some guys hop on a tractor, hit the ether button for 15-20 seconds, then hit the starter. That poor cylinder or two sounds like they are going to explode.

Jim,
I don't remember ya saying, did you put in new glow plugs when you did the refurb? There are the stock type ones, and some that are hotter, can't remember the number off the top of my head, NGK plugs.

Jim H. I agree with the rest. DON'T let that shop do anything without prior written approval and a written guarantee. I'm like Josh S. Nic B. and Steve B. Try a new set of glow plugs. Your present ones are more than likely toasted. Tske them out and examine them.

Josh S. Thank You for the vote of confidence. Years ago a BTF had his 1456 in the shop. He said that his knee "accidently" hit the ether button while under full load pulling a seven bottom plow. It blew the head up so high that it hit the hood and bent it. Stripped all the head bolts. Dealer's mechanics told him that he was lucky that he didn't blow up the engine. I use WD40 to help with my gas powered Cubs only if necessary. And I've heard of those guys that hold the ether button and then start the engine. Makes me cringe everytime.

Summing up... Jim H. We're all praying that it is a simple repair of glow plug replacement.
happy.gif
(BTW.. my 782D still has the OEM starter on it.)

Well on a diesel hard starting or no start can only be a few things .
1.. fuel deliver in lbs to low for the injectors .
2. fuel deliver timing off .
3. air supply to head obstructed .
4. and believe it or not a stuck or not speck adjusted exhaust valve.

The glow plugs can be checked in the tractor with a mete and measure the resistance to see if they are working .the fact that it squirts fuel does not mean it has the correct pressure to work correctly with proper timing.

Just be careful, since the plugs get 12v power in the start position as well as pre-heat.

how about using a hair dryer to increase air temps and help combustion . just a thought .

Latest posts

Back