• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

The day finally came!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I Spent Saturday sanding the hood down to bare metal again, And got a coat of primer on it. On Sunday the wife and I started block sanding it down. Got that done put another coat of primer on and got the outside ready for the red. Turn the hood over to untape the bottom side and then retape.as I was pulling the old tape off it pulled the red paint off with it. so not only do I get to paint the outside for the fourth time. Now I got to sand down the underside and take a chance messing up the outside. Things that make ya scratch your head.

Jeremiah,
If you are going to get into painting I will give you this advice. Buy A GOOD gun. Not one from Harbor Freight or TSC. Now that being said just because you bought a good gun doesn't mean that you will be a pro the first time you paint. It takes a lot of practice and I am still learning. If you have question on what to buy feel free to contact me. That being said I did get the underside of the hood painted today. And got most of the emblem for the front painted. Decals came today so hopefully by the end of the week its done and together and getting some action. That's if the paint turns out right on the hood. (which I am truly starting to believe is possessed by the devil HAHA)

<FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> OEM paint runs?
roflol.gif

288604.jpg

288605.jpg

Jim, A very nice job on the paint and all else you did to make that 782D better than new! I have had discussions with others over the heating issues these tractors experience, by that I mean all the D600 and d640 equipped Cub cadets. This is not unique to our favorite brand, but to the engine in all applications. Even in the Kubota tractors and mowers that used these engines!

I strongly suggest that the water pump is undersized for the engine design, to be honest. I have tried a much larger radiator as an experiment but it still overheated just the same.

I've played with different thermostats and even removing it to attempt to increase coolant flow; none helped either. I never tried "overdriving" the water pump with a different pulley. I think using an actual temp gauge showing degrees instead of simply "hot" may be more meaningful; of course it would have to be calibrated with the sending unit to be accurate. Never looked to see if the D722, a big brother to the D600 uses a larger water pump either, or if compatible.

Anyway, this started out to compliment your fine work Jim, I envy the skills you used.

dose anybody know where the battery decal goes on a 782d? in the owners manual in some pictures its under the seat. in others its under the hood. And the big one for under the hood is it dead center of the hood or more towards the top? Then the latch decal I would guess its on the left side towards the front of the hood? Thanks Jim

So I FINALY got the #@m! hood painted so it looks right. I ended up painting it 6 times. Sanded it down to bare metal twice and primed blocked sanded it. It took almost a gallon of 2150 and thinner over 30 oz. Of hardener half gallon of primer and .25 gal of activator and a boat load of sandpaper.And enough masking paper to tape off a car. So lets recap what happened. First time I painted it a fly walked across the hood. Block sanded it down painted it again. 2nd attempt to paint it orange peeled. Block sanded it down to primer.3rd time I painted it looked good except I stepped on the air hose and caused a giant run. Striped it down to bare metal and blocked it back in shape. Repainted for the 4th time. I don't know what happened for sure but it looked like it was stabbed with a bunch of needles. Block sanded it back down tried to paint it for the 5th time. It done it again. Finally (because I suffer from crs) I sanded it down again and put a sealer over it. Sanded the sealer down and painted it for The 6th time. Turned out the best so far. So Hopefully tomorrow get the decals on (Still not for sure where they go) and get the hood set and get some pictures of it. And take it for its madden voyage. I completely strip a newer 50c deck down. Had it sandblasted and powder coated new belts bearings and blades. So maybe just maybe I can put it threw her pace lap this weekend. Oh and get the rear implement plug wired and mounted.

Jim,
Glad to hear ya got the hood done. Can't wait to see those pics. Nothing like the smell of fresh paint and diesel in the morning............
drool.gif

snacks.gif

That is a really cool looking little tractor. I also like the stove pipe exhaust.
biggrin.gif

Your shop is really nice. I have to work under an outdoor shed enclosure, keeps me dry when it rains, but everything grinds to a halt after the leaves fall off of the trees. I have all of the tools I need, but they come from HF and when I'm not using them, they go into a corner or a pile or a random drawer. Someday I hope to have a shop like yours, or at least a heated garage. Someplace where all of the tools will have a proper home, where I can really spread everything out and work in comfort.

Jim,

Looking NICE!!!!

Tip: John Deere hyd. dust covers are black rubber and blend in nicely with the black Cub Cadet frame (not that there is a problem with Blue, but in case you wanted more options then what Pioneer offers).

Jim
Your tractors is looking better than a factory job . The stack makes me think it might be loud and would like to hear it run . I thought of doing the same on my 1512 D but knowing me I would break it off on a low limb or something lol. I have the same heat issue if left running as everyone that has the diesel . I just let it run at idle a few minutes to warm up and then put it to work . I never had it overheat using the tractor when I was working it , so I`am not worried about the temps. I thing a sending unit matched to a good temp gauge would give better reading as to what the temps really are .My laser temp gun shows that the engine is not as hot as the gauge on the dash shows to be a danger of over heating . I sure wish I could paint half as good as what I see you can do. Painting seems to be my only issue finishing my 1512 D .

WOW!!! Just beautiful. Can't wait to see that diesel in the dirt. Forget the plow. That thing needs a big, wide disk behind it.

A little of whats been going on. This past saturday my house took a lighting strike. Lost my computer and everything on it. The 782d is done and I mowed the yard with it once. It is LOUD. But I like it (for now) For those who may want a exhaust like mine get ahold of Aaron @ xtreme motorworks. He made that one. That shop is my brothers. I had plans of building one this spring but couldn't do it. (see my ordeal of why in the snadbox titled 'the wife') Maybe this winter. As soon as I get my own computer again I will get the pictures of it done and mowing up. Thanks for the kind words. Jim

Jim, your data might still be intact on the hard drive in your old computer. Once you get a new PC hook the old hard drive up to it as a secondary drive and see if you can access it.

I think my Kubota gasser will be getting a Farmall Cub muffler........the gas versions are REALLY loud straight piped!!!!!

here some pictures of it done out of the shop. Now I just need some action shots of it for you all
289255.jpg

289256.jpg

289257.jpg

289258.jpg

289259.jpg

289260.jpg

289261.jpg

289262.jpg

289263.jpg

Got my new computer yesterday hope these turn out.

Back