• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

The Chief--Dad's 149

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was blown away by the difference that the decals made while doing my Cubbie project. So I anticipated a big change on the chief and I wasn't disappointed either. Good eye Kraig on the mule drive "deck hanger"! I didn't even pick up on that until you mentioned it. However, I was looking at the seat. Dad started with the original seat which was in good shape but personally neither of us found it to be comfortable. So, he is saving it for a tractor show in the future or if he has a hankering to return it to original. However, I had that late model seat off the 1862 and dad bought a new seat foam/recover kit and he was in business. It may not look quite correct but for a machine that will see about 40 hours of use every year, it needs to be comfortable. Wait till you guys see dad's next goal with this thing---adapting an off topic rear mount bagger on to the 48" chief deck!!!
feint.gif

Joshua,

Just to verify, are those decals, or were they painted on. With the description of "having it lettered" made me think paint. Either way, it looks great. When we did a quick repaint on our #1 149 in the 80's it made a huge difference in the appearance. We were able to use the factory decals as they were still in good shape (still are tractor has lived inside its entire life) but that repaint is now going on 30 years old. Maybe Dad and I will venture down this same path in the future. Keep up the good work, and looking forward to the additional work on The Chief!!! Just remember it being a family project is the most important part of it all. Dad fostered my love for Cubs, and other things, and I am trying to pass the same on to my kids as are you, and that is a great thing!!!!

Scott--what a great story with your #1 149! I can see how the phrase "having it lettered" would be confusing. Those were decals from one of our sponsors. The are not EXACTLY the same but close enough where only the most discerning eye would pick up on it.

I'm right with you on the whole multi generational aspect of the project. It's important not to lose sight of what is really important! Thanks!

Here are a few more photos of the "platform" build. I'm sure dad would be happy to answer any questions you may have (via me here) concerning the design or execution of this project...

299530.jpg

299531.jpg

Joshua-

I found the post. Could you take a couple of pics a little closer and show what your dad did in the area close to the rear end? I'd like to see how the two top pivot points are designed. I hope your dad won't mind someone copying his work (or at least trying). Does he have any idea as to how much weight it will bear?

My little buddy and his two sons that hunt here come over, get a cub, and take corn to the woods. He has been putting the bag on the hood or taking a trailer and this design of your fathers will be perfect for that.

I think this is exactly what I need to move a few big rocks around here.

Wayne--I'll try to get those pics for you over the weekend. I plan to use it at our plow day to move any necessary items around. I really think it will be a handy piece with literally hundreds of applications. Dad wouldn't mind at all if you copied his design verbatim or put your own spin on it! We haven't had time to test it a lot yet as far as weight is concerned. I do know that I'm nearly 200# and I could jump on it without lifting the front of the tractor or damaging the platform. Once we've had a couple of years to "product test" Ill be able to more fully answer that question!

Josh, I'd like to see more detail of the pivot points as well. Would be neat if that could be flipped and mounted upside down for a portable work bench. Kind of a dual purpose implement, Hmmm...
299566.gif

Hey Kraig, I think we've been forgotten about here.

Josh...are you still with us????

Sorry Wayne and Kraig! I'm the ultimate vanishing act! As a building contractor, youth pastor, and father of four, my life goes in stages from busy to crazy busy. When I'm in a crazy busy period, I have to let go of the hobby items for awhile until I get things back to a manageable busy level! Anyway, after the plowing season last year, I started a good size contract home build and that consumed much of my time. The wife and I also managed to escape to Hawaii for a couple of weeks vacation in the middle of the winter---boy was that nice! The customers have now moved into their house and things are settling into a little more steady routine, so I have a little free time to catch up here.

Dad has been using his Chief steady for a couple of years and thus far it has been serving him really well. Granted, it has a few nicks and scratches from nearly daily use but he takes care of it really well. As we all know, Cubs were built to take years of use and keep on going strong.

Here are a few of the requested pics...

305328.jpg

305329.jpg

305330.jpg

You can see from these pics how dad "engineered" the knee action lift. It is strong yet does a great job of lifting loads parallel to the ground.

305331.jpg

305332.jpg

We had to make an appropriate length lift Rod and dad worked off his three point system to create a design that wouldn't interfere when he wanted to use the conventional lift for Brinly attachments. He also had to keep in mind his often used bagger. That's right, he modified an off topic, late model bagger to work with his 48U deck! I'll post some pics of that setup and how he did that one of these days (or years!). All I know is that this platform works great for dad and if you guys have a mind to build one, it will serve you well for yard tasks too!

Josh, Will I be seeing you folks at RPRU this week?
We will be there Wed nite @ Bong Rec Area and gin Thursday nite.

And on the RPRU grounds Thursday and possibly Fri, that is if I can keep Carolyn enthused enough to come back!!

Joshua-

As Kraig stated, well worth the wait!

This is just a curious observation but I think it might add some strength if the two uprights connected to the lower bracket had some "L" pieces bolted to the two bolts in the rear cover above the lower bracket. I say this because it appears the tops of those uprights will be pulled outward from the weight on the carrier. I really like the design and I think it will work great for you (and I will be copying it soon).

I have an "e-friend" that's into cubs from California. He has two larger tractors as well that he has gone through and takes to many shows. One has a carrier similar to your dads and that's where the dog rides. He recently sent me a pic of his wife riding around with the dog behind her on the carrier.

Thanks again for the pics.

Wayne--that is the amazing thing with a platform like that, it is basically limited only by capacity and your imagination when it comes to what you can do with it. Dad built his about a year ago and has used it for multiple things! I never thought of it as a pet hauler but it certainly would work for that! Classic

Austin--thanks for your interest. Yes, we used a combination of wire wheels and sanding to get rid of Loose and excess paint. Then it was painted with a high quality valspar primer followed by the below mentioned Valspar cub yellow.

We are almost three years since we finished the Chief and began using him for mowing and blowing duties. Dad loves it so far. The other day his idler pulley went out on the 48" deck. I got him set up with another one and a fresh spring. However, he said that his cast nose cone has a bad chunk out of it and he would like a non broken piece. I had two 48" decks in my shed but neither had the same piece as his. I will post in the wanted ad section for one because I want dad's chief to be as good as we can make it/keep it for years to come! So far, it has been a great machine for him and he loves the power steering. I need to do a write up on his custom adapted nagger with photos. That is REALLY cool!

Dad has been using the Chief as a regular worker for the last 7 years (hard to believe it has been that long already!). Anyway, he has had trouble with one of his deck spindles not taking grease anymore. So, he took the spindle off the deck but can’t figure out how to get the bearings apart from the spindle cup. He is afraid if he presses with too much pressure it will destroy the cup. Is there a special trick that he isn’t aware of that will help. Any help would be great...
3448815D-3DCE-4073-9F27-560AC877492C.jpeg

4EFE3231-21FE-44D6-BCDC-441EE173DFA3.jpeg

87506015-0ACF-41DB-BA6E-BD821CC2B87C.jpeg

Charlie, once we figure out how to get this apart, we will need some parts from you to put it back together.

Thank you one and all for your help. Dad loves working this old tractor both in the summer and winter. The power steering upgrade was a life saver for him as he continues to age. So much so that last summer he did a PS upgrade to moms 782 as well!

Any pictures of the winter setup?

Great story!

Wish I had Cubs available in my area of the country to harvest parts

Nice to see a family project come together

Back