• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

The 109: My first wide frame, My first hydro, and my first solo refurb.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charles-

First thing I'd do is keep the camera handy. It can save a lot of time and worries by documenting everything you do and in stages. I use "used" plastic zip-loc type bags for every set of bolts/parts with a label enclosed. It's best to clean things as you go too. It gets aggravating to find dirty bolts or whatever when you're reassembling.

You might go ahead and plan on splitting the tractor so you can address the trunion, pump gasket, cam brackets, and linkages. Chances are you'll find worn areas on the trunion slot. To fix this welding will be involved. There's a FAQ above on this subject (as for many). If there was any sign of oil on the rear axles new seals might be needed so when you drain the rearend this could be included. It's not that difficult a job. Sponsors above have the seals as well as most everything you'll need. It's a good time to redo the brakes if they are heavily worn. Hopefully you have a good flex disc and fan on the driveshaft. They both need to be in good shape. Also, don't paint the aluminum portion of the hydro pump with the fins. The paint insulates and hinders cooling. If it has been painted I'd take the time to clean it. It does get rather warm. Always use Hytran too; it just the best thing plus it has extra qualities.

You need to check areas like where the pickle fork from the subframe has rubbed the cross shaft for years. It may need building up with weld. I've found them worn more than halfway through. By doing these little "fixes" it tightens things up and gets them back working like they're suppose to.

BTW, if you plan on going into the pump to fix or replace the trunion slot by removing it keep everything VERY clean. Opening the pump may seem a little overwhelming but it is very doable. If you don't want to take this route you can just weld the trunion up with it still in the pump. You just have to really protect the pump. I use wet rags plus it only takes a little welding here. It's not enough to generate too much heat in most cases but there is a seal for this shaft so just be careful. There is ample literature on these Sunstrand pumps and yours is the 15U. I'd read and read. The only special tool needed is a block of wood with two holes drilled to support the pump on the bench. The manual tells about the block and its dimensions.

In a few weeks you'll know every bolt on the tractor and hopefully what it is for.

You'll eventually need to check out the steering from the box to the front axle. If the wires are in bad shape a new harness is about $50.

You have the manual pto but haven't mentioned whether it's the newer brake style or the older model. I would go through it as well especially if it has been sitting for a while. It just lets you know exactly where you stand...like changing the oil.

That's probably enough for now. Good luck and don't forget the camera.

Thanks, guys.. I'll check things that are easier to get to, but I think I'll do like my grandfather suggested today, get it running, driving, and looking good, then run it for the summer and if I decide to I can tear it down in the winter. Now, if I find out that there is a problem that NEEDS addressing, then, by all means will I fix anything else i see while in the area, especially if its split. I got quite a bit of priming done on the grill and a few smaller sheet metal pieces. I also sprayed the head with some rust-oleum high-heat formula matte black paint after giving it a thorough cleaning and putting an old spark plug in to protect the spark plug hole. I really like the look of it.

OK. So my plan for today is to take the hood, engine shroud, and the little piece that goes where the headlight bezel would be into school for sandblasting. Then, while I'm at woprk i'll order my part, and then i'll come back and probably work on either prepping the engine bay for paint, and/or I'll start to pull the control tower off.

Jeremiah, the <strike>149</strike>
blush.gif
109 in Charles' photos looks to have a 42" deck already on it, thus the 42" deck from the 126 should mount right up. *IF* the 149 had a 44" or 50" deck with the arched deck sub frame then it would not mount up.
happy.gif

... Its a 109, but you did make my tractor feel good about itself with the compliment.
err.gif

Ok- (I apologize for the poor quality; it's the lighting.) <font size="+2">PICTRE TIME!</font>

238992.jpg

238993.jpg

238994.jpg

238995.jpg

238996.jpg

238997.jpg

238998.jpg

238999.jpg

239000.jpg

239001.jpg

The head, right when I pulled it off.
239002.jpg

239003.jpg

239004.jpg

239005.jpg
}

Charles,,, wow,,COOL... its to late for me to make a long story but it looks like the engine had a recent head gasket and that you need all the correct engine tin for it before re-assebling.

you also need a fly wheel screen and a replacement or repair of the hydro drive coupler

you pto clutch disk pic 6 looks ok maybe missing the clips to make it quiet

pic 3 shows how the arm pushs on the center of the clutch and that fiber button is toast...go with a brass one

Make sure you mask off the dealership sticker and post a good piture of the sticker in the sandbox-base of operations for us

gotta go

PLEASE NOTE! While, yes, I am repainting it, and I am putting new decals on it, the paint-job will not be the best. Nor will it be IH correct (the inside of the engine bay is currently Massey Ferguson gray- cheaper, and no-one will REALLY be looking at it that closely anyway. The paint-job is being done with my Valspar rattle-cans, and It's not going to look like a show queen due to that fact, as well as the fact that I only had limited access to the school's sandblaster for a few days- therefore, you can tell where some paint was removed and some wasn't. I tried to smooth out the edges of those with sandpaper before I painted, but I guess it wasn't enough. But, it'll be a work tractor anyway, and, besides, it looks (or will look) good to me, and that's all that matters.

Charles-

Are you planning to remove the seat pan? I would since you've gone this far. You'll see why when it comes off. The pump will probably need a good cleaning (fins) and the trunion/cam plates can be better assessed. I'd get the heat shield to support the muffler instead if that flimsy little bracket. If you do remove the pan and clean the underneath stuff I wouldn't paint the pump fins like you painted the head. As a matter of fact if the pump IS painted I'd remove the paint first thing being careful not to scratch up the aluminum (definitely no sand/beadblasting here). Neither need to be painted because of heat dissipation.

Keep it up; you're getting there.

The more I look at the tractor, the more I can't believe how lucky I am.. I'm beginnng to wonder if I have a low hours tractor- or at least one that was well taken care of: Reason? Wayne: I pulled the seat pan as you suggested, rolled it up to the local car wash, sprayed it with a can of degreaser and pressure washed it, then proceeded to look at every moving part/piece I can see that is even remotley connected to the hydro, and everything looks to be in good shape and not worn. I'd guess its hardly worn at all. Rather surprising to me- maybe I'm not lookin at the right stuff.. swore I had pics.. where'd that camera go..? dad probably has it at the moment..

I was wondering when someone would ask about that.. To tell you the truth, I don't know either. It was on there when I bought it. I am a Jeep fan, though, and since those tractors can get through most anything, I plan on leaving it there.

Well, guys.. plan for today... Try to figure out the best time to contact the guy that my (now ex-boss) reccomended I check with for several smaller parts.

Charles Matthew Wayne Krill: Have you posted your needs in the Classified's "Want to Buy" section? You're bound to get a few hits, and maybe the whole kit-and-kaboodle. Remember, the 109 shares many of its parts with members of its own series and even those before. (Like the 86, 108, 128, 129, 149, 169 in the same series; the 106/7, 126/7, and 147 in the previous series; and the series to follow, the Quiet Lines, which kept some of the same basic parts, but the engine & body changed dramatically, see the 1000, 1200/1250, 1450 and 1650, all described on Aaron Schmidt's Xtremely Xcellent website: ExtremeMotorWorks.com).

Just a thought . . .

Honestly, I've been debating. I just hate to have to turn people away bc I've already bought a part from someone or just plain don't have the money- hopefully i'll get the job i'm gonna apply for tomorrow. I probably will, just need to figure out exactly what completely I need. I also have to remind myself not to buy a parts tractor.. (my father would kill me.) I can tell you this, though. I definitely know off the top of my head that I need a new flywheel screen, new flywheel-to-driveshaft cup, new left side panel extension. (pic in a sec). Oh, did it have a driveshaft cover screen? (see pic of 126 in post above.)

ok. First pic is another edit to show the panel extension I'm missing. (arrow points to the one on the other side)
239291.jpg

Also, was there a driveshaft cover screen? (circled area)
239292.jpg

Charles-

Those side plates are usually the first thing MIA on a wide frame. The belly pan is another part that may be missing.

The screen for the nf shouldn't be that hard to find. I'm sure the sponsors above can help.

Charles, with the side shields in place, a driveshaft cover is not needed on the 1x8,9 series.

Charles-

I guess I was a little confused with your questions but the side shields came with the wide frames and the screened clutch shield came on narrow frames. They don't interchange.

The manuals are great reading and show a lot of pics of things like this. Your 109 is a wide frame and very little will interchange between the two. The narrow frame you pictured appears to have the screen in place.

I will add the two wf side shields are mirrored (almost) so there is a right and a left side. I've found one of the sides harder to come by than the other but don't recall which.

Latest posts

Back