• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Texas State totally shut down

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are most of those without power doing for heat? Best of luck, you all are in our prayers.

Yes, the freeze has affected all forms of power generation. Texas gets about 10% of it's energy from wind power, I think. Lack of planning and funding for more extreme weather that is coming has affected all sectors. Wind power generators off the North sea work fine in the depths of winter, so it can be done. Not withstanding the cost of power storage, which is an issue, wind and solar are the cheapest bang for the buck these days, which is why nobody is building more coal plants these days. Renewable energy is still in its infancy these days, compared to fossil fuels, and huge strides are being made to improve efficiency of generation and storage.

Yes, the freeze has affected all forms of power generation. Texas gets about 10% of it's energy from wind power, I think. Lack of planning and funding for more extreme weather that is coming has affected all sectors. Wind power generators off the North sea work fine in the depths of winter, so it can be done. Not withstanding the cost of power storage, which is an issue, wind and solar are the cheapest bang for the buck these days, which is why nobody is building more coal plants these days. Renewable energy is still in its infancy these days, compared to fossil fuels, and huge strides are being made to improve efficiency of generation and storage.
That's a positive outlook and I like that but..a wise man will keep a wood pile out back if possible..just in case

No one is building fossil fuel power because the govt had beat them to death with permits and fees... Sin-tax.

Putting all energy production on one source is plain stupid. All types of energy has there plus and minus. Here on the east coast, coal plants have huge problem with coal ash disposal. Gas plants have issues with right away issue with hundreds of miles for pipelines.

Personally I favor mix of nuclear and hydro for base load and supplements with wind/solar. Local solar works great in off setting the air conditioning loads.

If any one is out by Fort Peck, Montana stop by the 1930’s earthen hydro dam And take a tour of power plant (if they still do it).

It is sadden me to see America does not have the will/power to take on huge projects any more as a nation. The ‘Greatest Generation’ did not have ‘It can not be done’ in their vocabulary.

It is sadden me to see America does not have the will/power to take on huge projects any more as a nation. The ‘Greatest Generation’ did not have ‘It can not be done’ in their vocabulary.
I agree but you need to see what the issue is. Mainly $$$
In the day, Americans would show up to work on these infrastructure projects. Today.. 100 hours of safety classes combined with crazy union wages combined with even more time and money spent on silly crazy safety setups. In my experience, when quoting a building erection for a business as compared to same building for a govt facility, we NEEDED to increase 400%. To deal with their over the top standards. We didn't erect dangerously, the govt standards are just out of control. I guess some guy needs to insure his existence by always adding to safety.
Govt priced themselves right out of the job. All machines can't be more then 5 years old. An independent inspector must check equipment every week, while we are unproductive. Safety setup of fencing and flagging sometimes takes longer then the actual job. We need to stop all this insurance, liability crap, America could get work done

I personally wish that people wouldn't be so afraid of Nuclear power. People always think of those nuclear disasters that happened in history. But, when looking at it from an overall perspective, none of these disasters were caused because nuclear power is "unsafe", rather by human errors.

Today scientists have a much better understanding of nuclear reactors than they did in mid to late 20th century, and engineers have a much better understanding of how to design them. The technology has advanced a lot over the past 50-60 years, and as long as nobody is just being outright stupid I don't think we have to worry about a nuclear power plant disaster. Nuclear reactors are able to generate a LOT of electricity at a surprisingly efficient rate, which is why we realistically should build more of them.

There's actually a nuclear power plant only about an hour away from me, that has been operating since 1970!! with no issue. All warning systems are in place (including sirens all throughout a 20 or so mile radius!) in the event of a disaster, but with today's understanding of nuclear power I'm not too worried about it. I'm also far from the area where radiation exposure could be a threat.

IMO....Tony and JP,you both make good points.Tony your comment about "liability" ,these laws are crippling all businesses and the lawsuits keep coming..remember the million $ coffee in the lap...Jp you said it without knowing it.Nuclear resistance is "not in my back yard" same is true for land fills...There will be no answers until politics are removed from the decision process.Joe senator wants it built in his state for economic benefit and so does Susie senator in her state.... And the environmentalists get all giddy and jump around at the mere mention of either one....WW 2 brought a common purpose to America and it has eroded away chasing money and to hell with the next generation....

I normally don't jump in on political chat but just want to set the record straight on the McDonald's case. And yes, the lawyers got most of it................

The judge reduced punitive damages to $480,000, three times the compensatory amount, for a total of $640,000. The decision was appealed by both McDonald's and Liebeck in December 1994, but the parties settled out of court for an undisclosed amount less than $600,000.

JPratt Japanese’s tsunami . All that Radiation in the Japan sea. Where does the ocean current go. up to Alaska then sweep down to seattle. Our coast line.

Well JP, c'mon over to Plymouth Mass, you can have all the nuclear waste you want, it sits in 55 gallon drums on the back loading dock of the now closed Pilgrim Nuclear Plant. It's got nowhere to go! They closed the plant since there is no place to store the waste anymore. It'll take some 35000 years for the half life to start winding down.. What a great way to live. And all the folks who reaped the profits - they're gone! If you can't tell... my opinion of nuke is very different than yours.

Latest posts

Back