• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Sub-Compact Tractor with Loader

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a new Kubota BX23S in March of 2019. It was the smallest sub-compact I could get that had a backhoe. We recently bought a 1.7 acre property that had been in my wife's family since the late 60's and size-wise it's been a pretty good fit mostly. (In hindsight, I would have gone a wee bit bigger.)
I got the SSQA (quick-attach) option, which takes a little away from lifting capacity. That's the only drawback so far. The dealer threw in one attachment, so I went with a 6" post hole auger. I also got a QA forklift attachment included in the deal. Last fall I got a Land Pride bush hog and this spring I picked up a box blade for cheap. I opted for a heated cab, adding an extra $5 grand to the price, and overall it is not a low-budget machine at this point. ;-) I hope to do some small-acreage side work to offset the payments a little. So far, I've had one two day job removing a concrete slab behind a house where there was a very tight 5' side yard to pass through.
Am fast approaching 500 hrs. on her and this tractor has been awesome! I can't begin to describe the amount of work I've been able to do, mostly backhoe and loader work.
Although I have not had one single issue requiring warranty support, the local dealer is a great family-run business and having a good dealer to support you is critical, in my opinion.

PS: I'm in this forum because I have a CC GTX2000 and picked up a (1968??) 125 last year as a project. Questions will start to flow on that project as soon as I get my new shop wired up. ;-)

I bought a new Kubota BX23S in March of 2019. It was the smallest sub-compact I could get that had a backhoe. We recently bought a 1.7 acre property that had been in my wife's family since the late 60's and size-wise it's been a pretty good fit mostly. (In hindsight, I would have gone a wee bit bigger.)
I got the SSQA (quick-attach) option, which takes a little away from lifting capacity. That's the only drawback so far. The dealer threw in one attachment, so I went with a 6" post hole auger. I also got a QA forklift attachment included in the deal. Last fall I got a Land Pride bush hog and this spring I picked up a box blade for cheap. I opted for a heated cab, adding an extra $5 grand to the price, and overall it is not a low-budget machine at this point. ;-) I hope to do some small-acreage side work to offset the payments a little. So far, I've had one two day job removing a concrete slab behind a house where there was a very tight 5' side yard to pass through.
Am fast approaching 500 hrs. on her and this tractor has been awesome! I can't begin to describe the amount of work I've been able to do, mostly backhoe and loader work.
Although I have not had one single issue requiring warranty support, the local dealer is a great family-run business and having a good dealer to support you is critical, in my opinion.

PS: I'm in this forum because I have a CC GTX2000 and picked up a (1968??) 125 last year as a project. Questions will start to flow on that project as soon as I get my new shop wired up. ;-)
Thanks for the detailed response!

I was hoping to rent a BX series tractor for some work this weekend, as sort of a trial run, but the local rental place doesn't have anything smaller than an L3xxx series. Unfortunately it's almost double the cost and may be a bit too big for the area I need to work, lots of trees with low branches.

They are running a deal on bobcat rental so I may look into that if delivery is free or cheap.

I'm also tempted to put the beefy ATV tires on my 107, throw on the plow blade and wheel weights, and fill my sprayer tank with water to see what it can do! I'll mostly be spreading new loose dirt, minimal breaking up of packed soil if any, and it would save me a couple hundred bucks.

At my old place I moved a LOT of dirt with my GTX2000 and snow blade. Mostly topsoil and garden dirt. I later got a sleeve hitch and a drag blade, as well as chain harrow, aerator, dump trailer, etc. Was plenty good for 1/2 acre, already mostly landscaped.
I used three "suitcase" weights and chained up the turf tires for traction.
Oh, I plowed an awful lot of snow for me and about 7 neighbors, too. ;-)

I'm also tempted to put the beefy ATV tires on my 107, throw on the plow blade and wheel weights, and fill my sprayer tank with water to see what it can do! I'll mostly be spreading new loose dirt, minimal breaking up of packed soil if any, and it would save me a couple hundred bucks.
I have had a subcompact tractor for years and for a small farm or most homesteads, they cannot be beat. Handy as can be. I have the BH on mine along with a FEL and you will be surprised how well it works.

Last edited:
Back