Quantcast
Kirk Engines, Inc Cub Cadet Used Parts CADET CONNECTION Cub Cadet Specialties Cub Cadet Specialties

Strange Noise and no Movement

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Forum:

randteed

1972 CC model 149. Its been running great. Now the motor still runs fine but grinding clanking noise when I try to engage hydrostat. Troubleshooting repair suggestions? I'm not sure where to start.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
That can't be good. First thing to do is remove the tunnel cover (the frame cover between the seat and the dash pedestal) and inspect the driveshaft and couplings. Also check the Hy-Tran level, could be low or out. Hopefully it's not out...

dschwandt

IHCC Supporter
displayname
David Schwandt
how low?
And how did the fluid look, like milk or melted ice cream, I hope not!

dropte

displayname
David Ropte
Looked pretty much like fluid usually does maybe a bit more opaque. Down about an inch from fill port. Nothing obviously disconnected under the cover
That rag joint looks like toast. Is it still intact?

kashaver

displayname
Kelvin Shaver
When you turn it, do you see the shaft going into the pump turning too? I think there is a pin through the flange that sometimes shears.

dschwandt

IHCC Supporter
displayname
David Schwandt
Check BOTH ends of the driveshaft.
Repair or replace as needed and from what I see in your pictures, I'd do it sooner rather than later..

dgunn

displayname
David W Gunn
Yes it’s still intact and will turn easily
It may be turning easily because a pin has sheared. Check the pins at both ends of the driveshaft. Replace that rag rag joint too. I had one fail on one of my 149s. The drive shaft swung wide, wiped out the filter and almost took out the metal hydraulic lines. Oh, the fan was wiped out too.

Latest posts