• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Steering Wheel Removal

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john.knutson

displayname
John K
I am really struggling with removal of my 107's steering wheel.

I have tried both methods in Cub Cadet FAQ without any sign of progress. I am using PB Blaster, thinking I will try Kano Kroil next (not trying to start a war!).

Any tips folks have to offer? I have been hitting it with the pnuematic hammer for a couple seconds at a time, should I lay on it for longer?

I can post pictures if helpful, probably not much of interest to see. I am hoping to get the wheel off to reduce some some play in the steering as well as tighten the tension nut on my Hydrostatic Steering Linkage so that I don't have to hold the lever while I plow.

John, are you setting on the tractor pushing up on the steering wheel with your knees as you hammer on it? Might be time to use Matt G's method. Here's a link to where he posted info on it:

Matt's Steering Wheel Puller

John, are you setting on the tractor pushing up on the steering wheel with your knees as you hammer on it? Might be time to use Matt G's method. Here's a link to where he posted info on it:

Matt's Steering Wheel Puller

I sure am! Each time I am out in the garage I try to hit it with PB and give it 5 minutes of effort.

I had seen a similar method earlier and have been thinking that might be my next route. I think I have some hardwood scrap in the garage.

You need a brass drift, the bigger around the better.
Leave the nut loose and run out to the end of the threads so you don't screw them up.
Or, you could remove the tower steering sector and all, that way you can slide the sector tube up through the tower some enough to get a regular 3 jawed puller on the wheel hub.

Soak it, sit on the tractor with upward pressure.. maybe ask a buddy.. Use/make this tool and smack it.
It can be found on-line.. I have Pulled many wheels with it.. Good luck!

Attachments

• 09FE49FB-0598-44DE-A91B-F88459C41A77.jpeg
    09FE49FB-0598-44DE-A91B-F88459C41A77.jpeg
    29 KB · Views: 396
I wouldn't use a 3-jaw puller. It will destroy the plastic part of the hub, hence my wooden puller that Kraig was describing above.

The bolt and but method usually works, but sometimes it won't, and it's quite hard on the lower bearing race in the steering column.

That's why one needs to exert pressure upwards with your knees or something so you are not banging against the lower bearings.
I stand corrected on the 3 jaw puller, I was thinking of the earlier Cubs with the metal center and spokes.

That's why one needs to exert pressure upwards with your knees or something so you are not banging against the lower bearings.
I stand corrected on the 3 jaw puller, I was thinking of the earlier Cubs with the metal center and spokes.

Pushing up on it with your knees is not going to prevent destruction of the lower bearing. Your legs are not stiff enough to absorb the impact from the hammer. The steering wheel will never come off if you don't push up on it, which is why you have to do that in the first place.

I sure am! Each time I am out in the garage I try to hit it with PB and give it 5 minutes of effort.

I had seen a similar method earlier and have been thinking that might be my next route. I think I have some hardwood scrap in the garage.
Get in touch with Jesse Fuller in Coon Rapids.

Get in touch with Jesse Fuller in Coon Rapids.

I'll check out that video, thanks for sharing!

I don't know how many bets I've won over the years from guys that said I wouldn't be able to remove their steering wheels! Cub Cadet FAQ

I've been alternating between the two methods on the FAQ, maybe it just takes some more patience and persistence.

That’s the method I used on my last one, I originally saw it on Taryl fix’s all removing engine pulleys.
Thought I’d give it a try and it does work well.

I noticed my front wheel bearings seemed a bit loose, so I decided to take the front wheels and steering components apart. Looks like I'll have "opportunity" to remove slop outside of the main steering shaft.

New bearings and Heim joints are on order.

I'll check out that video, thanks for sharing!

I've been alternating between the two methods on the FAQ, maybe it just takes some more patience and persistence.
how do we know that this steering wheel wasn't just removed earlier? way too easy way too fast I would like to see more like the one he removed than only 30 seconds of video I have pulled steering wheels the plastic off the hub and no way would this method pulled the wheel so easily Somehow we are not shown the rest of this

"front wheel bearings should be serviced,repacked adjusted and shimmed if need be from time to time under normal use. "

I've adjusted and repacked a lot of automotive front wheel bearings over the years but I've never heard of doing that to sealed ball bearings. I'd love to be enlightened.

how do we know that this steering wheel wasn't just removed earlier? way too easy way too fast I would like to see more like the one he removed than only 30 seconds of video I have pulled steering wheels the plastic off the hub and no way would this method pulled the wheel so easily Somehow we are not shown the rest of this

If the tractor was fairly well cared for they do come of that easy. Most that I have messed with take a bit more work, but that method has worked well for me, both the big hammer and air hammer variants.

Back