• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

steering wheel removal

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janteau

displayname
jeff anteau
can anyone tell me the secret on how to remove a real stubborn steering wheel on my 86

PB blaster, or any other penetrating oil. Let it soak for a day or two. Then place a large bolt inside the steering tube, where the top nut was for the steering wheel, then hit the top of the bolt with a big hammer. Try prying up at the same time. This method worked for me.

Be aware of the plug at the far end (bottom) of your steering column and don’t bash too hard up top because the parts fit tight inside the steering box. Of course you‘ll want to pull that all apart anyway and replace maybe some bearings and fresh grease.
CA6944BE-784F-4249-B6AB-1C78B01DA413.jpeg

That picture I just posted is a replacement steering column I put in my 70. The worm gear gives me an additional rotation. Of course the column is just a little longer than OEM and I needed to make some changes inside the frame for it to fit, but it turns great and I’ll do it to my 122 next time it’s apart. Not sure what column is in an 86.
6E7D4B31-DD95-4B98-A392-CF057EB2FF46.jpeg

The two turn column was used until the late 1980s when MTD switched to the 3-turn worm.

A puller that clamps around the bottom of the wheel is best. If you use the bolt and hammer method, you will likely be replacing the bearings and races, as this method WILL damage them unless the wheel is not particularly stuck.

I agree with Mr. Gonitzke, a 3 jaw puller is best, soak it with some penetrating oil and then thread the nut just about flush with the top of the shaft and use the 3 jaw puller. Helps to pull up on the 3 jaw puller and tap the threaded stud on the puller now and then after a few turns of the stud.

Matt, That would be best. Guess I just got lucky with my 3 jaw. :)

Back