• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Steering wheel removal

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Upward pressure w/your knees under the wheel is the secret here as well as a must.
Always worked for me
That and using a brass drift to strike w/the hammer

It's a hollow shaft. It mushrooms easily if you don't take precautions mentioned above. Also, the shaft will split. Found that out the hard way.

Friend of mine used to build pullers and dealt with a lot of older Cubs in various conditions. He told me he would spray the steering wheel hubs with Kroil, wait a few hours, and use a cheap air hammer tool with a pointed tip. Said he would grab the wheel in one hand, stick the tip of the air hammer in the hole at the top of the column, and pull up on the wheel as he triggered the air hammer. According to him, that trick never failed to remove the wheel and he had never damaged one, either.

In my early learning stages of the removal of a steering wheel, I did that and broke the aluminum housing. Now I use the air hammer with a point on it, works like a charm.

Oh I have a special nut that I use, It is solid on top. One the 82 series that have a solid shaft you do not need one. heheheheh

First attempt at home made wheel puller No luck. I have sprayed Kroil on it a couple times. The wood I used flexed to much it seems. I am still reluctant to pound on it with a hammer with my knees under the wheel. Maybe with my bosses head under the wheel. I will refabricate the wood piece in aluminum.
1649632958904.png

1649633077804.png

Any comments on why it will or will not work ??
1649632958904.png
1649633077804.png
1649632958904.png

That looks as though it should work Steve,are there washers on the underside of that wood to keep the nuts from digging in? You should be able to tighten down on it and maybe hit the top of the stud

I haven't used a steering wheel puller for decades after I found out how to use an air hammer. And yes, always back the nut up so it's flush with the top of the steering shaft. Nothing is quicker or less damaging to the steering shaft.

No. He said air hammer. That's an electric one. Cool pic though.

I used to make my living riding pneumatic jackhammers. It was my favorite job of all time. There was something real pure and simple about: "go break that rock". I hated electric ones though. Way heavier than pneumatic, with much less power.

Diggers bolt trick works well. I bought the bearing upgrade for the top of the column when the Bakelite bushing in one of mine finally broke. I think it took me maybe 15 minutes to do both tractors. That was everything, pulling the wheels, R&R of the bushing/bearing and then reassemble. Thread the nut/bolt on, both knees and your free hand pulling, a couple of pops with a hammer and it is loose. I don’t use any other method.

SUCCESS
1650062299209.png

Sorry I did not wan"t try poundin the spindle with a air hammer or sledge. As Frank said " I did it my way"
The best tip I got was from Someone to use Kroil then heat the shart with a heat gun. I did that but used mt new wheel puller my friend made for me works great no damage to wheel or shaft, no stess to steering box.
1650062878930.png

1650063009618.png

now I have a new tool for the right job cost $20.
Thank you everyone for your help and insperations.
PS no I can take a steering wheel off in 10 minutes. maybe I can win some bets. HAHAHA

1650062299209.png
1650062878930.png
1650063009618.png
1650062299209.png
1650062878930.png

SUCCESS
View attachment 148681
Sorry I did not wan"t try poundin the spindle with a air hammer or sledge. As Frank said " I did it my way"
The best tip I got was from Someone to use Kroil then heat the shart with a heat gun. I did that but used mt new wheel puller my friend made for me works great no damage to wheel or shaft, no stess to steering box.
View attachment 148683
View attachment 148684
now I have a new tool for the right job cost $20.
Thank you everyone for your help and insperations.
PS no I can take a steering wheel off in 10 minutes. maybe I can win some bets. HAHAHA

View attachment 148681View attachment 148683View attachment 148684View attachment 148681View attachment 148683
Steve I would lose the10m min bet cause it would take me 20 to figure out where I left the puller! :ROFLMAO:

Back