• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Steering wheel removal

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephen bentley

I need to get at the throttle and choke controls and need to take dashboard off. I got the nut loose for the steering wheel but the wheel is rusted and frozen on the shaft any helpfull hints to getting it off ???

Stephen,
You don't have to start a new thread each time you do something else to your tractor. It is easier for everyone to follow if you keep it on the same thread.
Go to the search tab in the upper right corner and type steering wheel removal. You should find all you need to remove it. ;)

thanks, if I use the same thread with the same title how does anyone else new what help I am looking for. I did find some info by looking up threads on that topic. Thanks

Steve I used this puller on a couple of steering wheels,worked real good. I also soaked those threads and nut overnight first.
0404220942_Film1.jpg
0404220942a_Film1.jpg

Yes, patience is your friend!
Soak the wheel center with PB Blaster. Apply it about every two days. The longer you wait and apply it, the easier it comes off.
I have removed several steering wheels from the oldest cubs made (O,70,100,72,122). All came off with no damage using my legs and a hammer.

Purchase a 5/8-18 nut. You don't want to use the acorn nut. Screw the nut on with about 3/16 gap between the nut and wheel center.
Just sit in the seat as if you were driving it and push up on the wheel with your legs. You could use wood blocks on the footrests to get your legs up to the steering wheel if needed. At the same time, hit the nut with a hammer until the wheel moves. This has always worked for me.

Soaking it down with Kroil, and having my machinist friend make me a wheel puller. Hope to spend Zero dollars. Maybe I will make a nice drawing and post pictures when done so others can build one.

Looks like that puller was a good solution.When I get ready in the Spring start up,I loosen mine up,in case I have a problem and have to remove steering column. Maybe over kill,but doesn't hurt

Just be careful with the wheel pullers, that you don't mushroom the end of the column and can't get the nut back on!

Put a Allen bolt in the center I think 5/16 Or 3/8 i Dont remember and put the nut back on flush with the top of the shaft it will keep it from mushrooming. And I use a split puller on the bottom and a 2 jaw to pull it. Work's perfect

I loosen the nut until I have about a 3/16 gap between the steering wheel and nut and use a rubber mallet to hit the nut with my knees under the wheel.. Try to keep the top of the nut level with the top of the threaded shaft to protect the threads..

No, the other end is set in a large bearing and the shaft is pretty beefy.. Never heard of one getting broken.. Now try that on a sears or wally world.... Of course your question may depend on hammer size.. Thats why I use a rubber mallet..

Back