• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Steering shaft rebuild

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OBH

displayname
OBH
Working on my 1200 and noticed the steering housing is loose from the Ross gearbox, I figured now is a good time for a rebuild. It looks like it’s been loose for a little while and during use has worn the OD of the steering housing. To tighten it up would it be a bad idea to epoxy or JB weld it back in place? I’m not in love with that idea, maybe drill and tap two screws holding the two back together? I’m also curious what the housing length should be when measuring from the gearbox? Just bottom it out?

Working on my 1200 and noticed the steering housing is loose from the Ross gearbox, I figured now is a good time for a rebuild. It looks like it’s been loose for a little while and during use has worn the OD of the steering housing. To tighten it up would it be a bad idea to epoxy or JB weld it back in place? I’m not in love with that idea, maybe drill and tap two screws holding the two back together? I’m also curious what the housing length should be when measuring from the gearbox? Just bottom it out?
You would be time and money ahead to get a good used one from Rob Houtz a forum sponsor at

https://cubcadetusedparts.com/
1669771080915.png

Are you saying the tube is no longer tight in the casting of the gearbox itself? That is a rather common problem. May as well just fix it. If you clean everything up and get all the paint and grease out of both of those parts, scuff the mating surfaces with sandpaper, epoxy will work to put them back together.

Are you saying the tube is no longer tight in the casting of the gearbox itself? That is a rather common problem. May as well just fix it. If you clean everything up and get all the paint and grease out of both of those parts, scuff the mating surfaces with sandpaper, epoxy will work to put them back together.
Yes that is exactly what has happened. I will try the epoxy as the gearbox is still in good shape. Do you know what the overall length should be or do I just bottom the tube out?

My 882 steering tube was trashed when I got it. I removed the assembly and gave everything a good cleaning and then sanded the end of the tube and the area of the box the tube goes in with some fine sand paper. I cleaned that area good with lacquer thinner then applied some red Loctite to the tube and tapped it back in place with a piece of wood. You don't need to go crazy beating on it. I did this 10+ years ago and it is still working great.

DSC03463.JPGDSC03465.JPGDSC03469.JPG

Yes that is exactly what has happened. I will try the epoxy as the gearbox is still in good shape. Do you know what the overall length should be or do I just bottom the tube out?

Tube should be bottomed out. I'd draw a line on the tube when you dry fit it so you know when it is all the way in when you epoxy it.

Latest posts

Back