• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Steering column search

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kzintner

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Kurt
I have a Model 70, Kohler engine early to mid 60's vintage. The steering column had broken, please refer to three photos, now I would like to begin my restoration. I am reaching out for assistance in obtaining a replacement steering column.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,
Kurt

Attachments

• Steering col 1.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 527
  • Steering col 2.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 513
  • Steering col 3.pdf
    913.9 KB · Views: 433
That really sucks.
Did you hit something while turning?
Kids sitting on them and jerking the wheel back and forth up against the stops will do that you know.
One sees that kind of crap at shows all the time when no one is looking.
And a lot of their parents stand right there and don't care.
Should not be to hard to find another, just have to get on the correct length is all.
Do you have the rest of the parts?
Charlie can fix you up with new bearings and cups for your rebuiold.
Good luck!

That's not entirely uncommon. Those steering box castings are not the strongest material in the world. Good used ones should be available on ebay and from various other retailers online that sell used parts.

I put a big hose clamp around the top and bottom of the steering box in my loader tractor in an attempt to prevent this.

I have a Model 70, Kohler engine early to mid 60's vintage. The steering column had broken, please refer to three photos, now I would like to begin my restoration. I am reaching out for assistance in obtaining a replacement steering column.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,
Kurt
Click the Houtz sponsor button at the top of the page and Rob can get you fixed up.

For those unfamiliar with them, The Ross steering boxes are used on the early John Deere tractortjies, and although the length of the main drive shaft was shorter on the JD's the mechanism is identical and so there is a source of second hand bits n bobs at JD graveyards as well. I got spares years ago and managed to find the two saucer shaped cups new at the local co-operative that marketed JD stuff.

The second most plausible cause of failure like that is someone whacking the splined shaft to get the steering wheel off, that procedure is covered adequately in the FAQ's and subsequent banter

Old Ford garden tractors used a ross box too. The other parts are different but the box is the same I believe. The one I have is a three turn as well.

Randy

Back