• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Starting your cub in COLD weather.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the late 1970's I worked as a farm hand for a local farmer that had an 806 diesel with the item B "Either Starting Parts Accessory" kit (see below) installed.

IH_1970_Parts&Acc_006a.jpg

Factory supplied kit. It can be used safely in a diesel. However, it is easily, easily misused resulting in blown head gaskets, cracked heads, broken starter gears, bent rods,….help me here fellas. What else?

Definitely no starting fluid if there are glow plugs in the engine. Gas engine is ok but don't get carried away with a lot of starting fluid.

I have used starting fluid in both gas and diesel, for different reasons. On a gasser, something it helps to “prime” everything in a carb setup…. With it actually running the vacuum pulls fuel through the carb like “normal”, however, if I am using this technique, I normally try and grab something like carb cleaner or maybe brake cleaner…. isn’t quiet as “violent“ as starting fluid (ether)

I have also used it on Diesels, I do agree, no or dead glow plus only (one of our IDI’s has dead plugs right now).. but I use it VERY sparingly, like a half second spritz….. and I normally try and only use it while cranking the engine over, not just spray it in, and then hit the key….. I have found that ether can be used with out harm, as long as it is use properly. But that is normally the issue… properly…. most times i see “if a little is good, more is better”……

Most ether these days does have some form.of upper end lube and much less concentration of ether than the starting fluid of old. So bad results are less likely as long as common sense is used. I agree none in a glow plug system and used sparingly else where. Side note I've read John deere starting fluid has the highest ether content these days.

Back