• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Starter engagement issues

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exSW

Has anyone else seen this? After three new starters they keep developing the same problem. When bendix is fully extended in the engaged position it’s so sloppy it spins clear of the flywheel. Not every time. When it’s a dead cold start it usually engages and starts the engine no problem. But repeated or hot starting not so much.

What do you mean "spins clear of the flywheel?" Bendix doesn't fully extend to engage the flywheel?

If so, clean and relubricate the bendix with a dry lube such as teflon or graphite.

What do you mean "spins clear of the flywheel?" Bendix doesn't fully extend to engage the flywheel?

If so, clean and relubricate the bendix with a dry lube such as teflon or graphite.
The bendix DOES fully extend. And sometimes it does engage the flywheel. Other times( usually when it’s hot) it spins free in the fully extended position. Kinda flops like a limp hotdog. I’m just wondering if the quality control has slipped and there’s to much slop in bendix Ed.

A picture of the starter mounted to the engine would be worth 1000 words (or better, a video of what you are describing). By the design of the starter and mount to the engine, there is no way (or need) to shim it.

Are the mounting bolts tight?

The most common starter issue on these is the bendix not extending to engage the flywheel. Cleaning and lubrication usually fixes them.

Are the mounting bolts tight?
Yes. I really think this is a quality control issue. The bendix does extend properly. It will Engage the flywheel fully and start the mower. The contact pattern on the teeth is proper. The flywheel is in good condition.

It just will not make contact with flywheel after a couple starts. It’s so sloppy in its action at that point it extends and spins free.

If it is extending properly every time and in the proper relative position to the flywheel, then what is the problem?

Usually on these the bendix gets gunked up and will not fully extend, causing the gear on the starter to not engage the flywheel, or just engage far enough to grind. The solution for this is to remove the starter, clean the bendix, and lube it with dry lube.

Just as a curiosity; how long does a new starter work before it "goes bad"?

Yes. I really think this is a quality control issue. The bendix does extend properly. It will Engage the flywheel fully and start the mower. The contact pattern on the teeth is proper. The flywheel is in good condition.

It just will not make contact with flywheel after a couple starts. It’s so sloppy in its action at that point it extends and spins free.

Are you sure that it is fully extending when it spins free? As others have mentioned the typical issue is the bendix gets sticky with oil and dirt causing it to not fully extend and it will just spin. A good cleaning and dry lubrication should get it working again. I had an Allis Chalmers 620 with an Onan twin that had this issue. The Onan CCKB was known for developing an oil leak on the oil filter mount that would leak onto the starter and really gunk it up.

I've had this happen on KT-17 engine when points gap/timing is off. Thinks it's running but not. Not sure why on Mag 18.

Back