• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Stainless Square U Bolts

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmacdonald

displayname
James MacDonald
On my small utility trailer/cub hauler I broke a leaf spring. I bought two new leaf springs and removed the old. I new the U bolts would break trying to remove them and they didn't disappoint. My problem is I couldn't find a replacement size locally, however I did locate some exact replacements online on E-bay that are stainless. Is it ok to replace what were steel square u bolts with these stainless? I was worried there might be some sort of metal interaction with the steel that I am bolting them too.

James,
Nothin wrong with using stainless. I changed mine out on the 16' trailer about 6 years ago and they still look brand new.
I would use anti-seize on the nuts though.

Please don't take this the wrong way, as I'm not trying to start a argument. However on stainless hardware most of the time it does not have the load carrying capacity as your normal steel hardware. The stainless is promoted as "non rusting" normally as 18-8 or such which can be about anything, and is way to soft. If you buy stainless bolts/nuts/hardware you will be paying 2-3 times the price for the same bolt in a steel grade with the same load carrying capacity.

If it's just a fastener with little to no load then I wouldn't worry a bit, however if otherwise it might do you some good to research stainless fasteners some. I'm one that promotes stainless anywhere on a garden tractor I can, or any outside equipment for that matter as I despise rust with a passion. Just my opinion I wanted to share what I have learned.

CLINT - Excellent advice! I might also suggest people look up "Stress Corrsion Cracking" on google or whatever Your favorite search engine is.

Stainless doesn't like "Chlorides" which is basically SALT. Under stress it will crack at points of concentrated stress (threads?)

A good grade 5 or 8 bolt or fastener with zinc dichromate plating won't look as nice in a couple years but it's strength won't deteriorate near as fast.

Charlie's advice on using anti-sieze is excellent on ANYTHING You may ever want to take apart in the future. Especially things that bolt into aluminum. The more I wrench on stuff the more I find myself using either anti-sieze or Lock-Tight (normally Red) on threaded fasteners.

Latest posts

Back