• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Spring garden work.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbuttke

displayname
Lonny Buttke
Did a once over on the garden today, ground is still plenty wet on the north side.
20210420_141831.jpg
20210420_141739.jpg

Spent another 3 hours going over the garden today, once with the digger and than once with double disc.
Forgotten just how rough riding a cub cadet can be.

Forget the disc, waste of time and fuel
You cant get goiing fast enough and deep enough to do much more than compact the soil. That is IF you can even stay in the seat!! :)

Just fall plow and spring till.
ground works up perfect and the spuds will just push into place ready to hill.

You cant get goiing fast enough and deep enough to do much more than compact the soil. That is IF you can even stay in the seat!! :)

I second that...disks work awesome - with the right speed.

I was going to get a tiller but I'm contemplating a cultivator. With my little garden area (which is raised and filled, not a compacted section of ground) I'm thinking that'll work fine for me. :unsure:

Hello Lonnie, looks like the plow worked fine. Good to see you using Cubs again. I find the disk just scratches the surface too, in the past I've added a bunch of weight to i then I don't have enough traction to pull it. Dual up your 72 and you'll be fine in that sandy soil you have.

Wish it where that simple, ground here is loaded with rocks of all sizes.
Tiller only works after ground is somewhat level and 95% rock free at surface level.

Hello Lonnie, looks like the plow worked fine. Good to see you using Cubs again. I find the disk just scratches the surface too, in the past I've added a bunch of weight to i then I don't have enough traction to pull it. Dual up your 72 and you'll be fine in that sandy soil you have.

Vince,
Have not had the opportunity to try out the plough yet.
My younger brother ploughed the ground last fall with my 3235 and 3point plough.
He made a mess of the ground, 3 different dead furrows in the garden, all sod.
Hopefully this fall I will get to use the plough I got from you.
I removed the duels last fall in hopes on using the 72 to plough the garden, lack of time prevented that.

I admire your determination. I'm trying to create a nice little 1/2 acre pasture, and it's a struggle with my 48 hp Ford! I keep discing and seeding, trying to work some organic matter into the soil. I have about 500 lbs. on my 20 disc rig, and you do have to pull it pretty fast to get good action. I used my CC to spread some seed, and pull a drag harrow, and it beat me up pretty bad.

Had to breakout the non IH Cub Cadet to pull the tandem disc with added weight
20210511_191135.jpg

Anyone have a brainstorm as to how I can get water from a full barrel through a 50' garden hose and still have it squirt enough to water grass at a remote site??
Wondering of one of the pull behind sprayer tank setups would put enough pressure out to do the trick if it could be adapted to a hose for volume from a nozzle.

I think that gravity flow only would only dribble a bit but will try that first.

Anyone have a brainstorm as to how I can get water from a full barrel through a 50' garden hose and still have it squirt enough to water grass at a remote site??
Wondering of one of the pull behind sprayer tank setups would put enough pressure out to do the trick if it could be adapted to a hose for volume from a nozzle.

I think that gravity flow only would only dribble a bit but will try that first.
David, I saw a rig yrs ago..50 gal drum...1/2 " outlet at the bottom attached to a hose and sprayer nozzle.He ran a 12v air pump into a fitting at the top.HE ( note he) said it worked very well.Seems like it should...Better than gravity...

high volume fuel pump then its 12 volts. or homeD i think has a 120 volt pressuer sence pump. so when u turn on the hose it will start up.
gravity feed. raise the drum up on pallets.

Just google "small electric water pump." I'd say you will find what you need. :bluethumbsup:
I wonder if Charlie has a small IH water pump? :errrr:

After plowing, I use my four wheeler with the disc to knock the soil back down to where I can manage it with the cub.

Last edited:
Is it a standard 55 gallon drum? If so adapt the smaller hole fitting to the hose connector, then adapt the larger hole fitting to your air compressor hose with a regulator. Lay the drum on it's side, garden hose to the bottom - push the water out with air, 40 to 50 psi works well. Done it many times.

Not a pressure tight drum. Top has ben cut open 1/2 way and hinges added, not my doing!

Experimented some yesterday with it and a hose with a fan type sprinkler head. seemed to work fairly well, but a little sloowwww!!
Will have to do for now, rain is in forecast for the weekend and into next week, just hope it don't come all at once!!

You guys have a great day, I gotta go haul some cement, we are feeding a portable paving plant near Dubuque this week.

Back