• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Spray Guns

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oak they are the Best Masks. That’s what I use. But I’m stupid. My new painter is 20 years younger than me he uses fresh air suit. But I paint in a booth with fresh air moving all the time. You guys in Garages. Be aware.

What people don’t realize. Is when painting with hardeners. Polyicocianates. ( not spelled right) Is designed to react to moisture in the air. That’s why it attacks the eye balls. Short term into the body. Pores in your body long term.

Word of advice when buying the $14.99 HVLP spray paint gun at Harbor Freight, don't be surprised when the paint cup expands and the cap doesn't fit on. We bought one to spray some base coat/clear coat with hardener on SON'S '93 F-150 Lightning, yes we had proper air masks and exhaust fans in the shop. Not sure what it was that caused the cup to swell but the lid didn't begin to start on before we were done. HF used to sell a detail gun with a stainless steel paint cup, also $14.99 but their on-line website doesn't show anything like that anymore. They "MIGHT" sell a replacement paint cup & lid which would solve the problem. The $14.99 sprayer actually did a nice job of laying on the paint. There's some good stuff at HF and then there's some REAL JUNK, that sprayer works. The old siphon style sprayers also paint O-K, but with today's price for solvents or thinner to clean them out it's cheaper to throw them away and buy the HF sprayer. If you have a spray gun cleaner that recycles solvent then you can also afford $400 professional spray guns.

I think one reason people are having trouble with equipment and solvents is because painting is shifting away from high VOC paints like lacquer and enamel and gloss additives and are moving towards water based low VOC finishes.. My last 5 years as a painter was spraying water base pre-mix straight from a 55 gallon drum and I was impressed by how it went on and how well it held up..This is how things are moving now and is probably why newer guns have plastic cups that don't hold up well to high VOC paints.. I have a HVLP gun I bought new about 15 years ago from HF and it has a aluminium cup and shoots old paint fine..

Eastwood in eastern PA is another supplier with various levels of equipment.
https://www.eastwood.com/
I’ve always used an old Binks 62 and filter everything always use fisheye and mix thin and spray lightly and let tack and at the last two coats go almost all thinner and let set for a day and a half !!!!!! Got three cans for the gun to fit on and every two paint jobs, I rebuild all seals in it. !!!

I’ve always used an old Binks 62 and filter everything always use fisheye and mix thin and spray lightly and let tack and at the last two coats go almost all thinner and let set for a day and a half !!!!!! Got three cans for the gun to fit on and every two paint jobs, I rebuild all seals in it. !!!
Set pressures low and just enough to carry paint easy and flat !!!!!

If you guys buy those Sata RP not the newer ones . They for Water borne. My RP old 25 years. I can paint a car and never run it . That’s how much that gun itomizes. (Mis spelled) When I paint in spray booth you can’t see me inside the booth. I come out with paint on my eye lashes! But it’s the best finish you ever see

Tried painting with Case IH irongard and no hardener. Took about a month for the paint to dry. Then when gas got on the tank, it started coming off.
Got this finish sprayer at Lowes for around 40 bucks. Valspar hardener from Amazon. No problems since. :bluethumbsup:

DSCF0748.JPG

And so, there's another problem mentioned in a previous post. When using a cheap synthol enamel with no hardener, most any solvent including gas spilled on it will have a tendency to lift or wrinkle your new paint, months or even years later. All the great paint prep and spray guns cannot prevent this. At the very least use a hardener made for your paint (never mix brands) If your cheap local Tractor Supply paint has no hardener, don't buy it. If you're painting larger objects like a hood, etc., wear the recommended protective clothing including a mask that covers your eyes too. If you can't get enough air movement through your garage or shed, paint outside. Even if you think a little paint exposure isn't going to hurt you, remember that even with hardener, synthol enamel is very slow drying and the overspray will stick to everything it settles on, including your car out in the driveway, (or the neighbor's car) and everything in your garage, your hair, clothing, shoes, everything!

Back