• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Spray Guns

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad McGowan

IHCC Supporter
Was just wondering who is using what. I am trying to figure out what I would need to do a nice job without spending a small fortune on something that will see minimal use. Right now I am leaning towards a Harbor Freight HLVP Spray Gun.

I used to be a bodyman and painter for many years.. my go to is my old suction feed Sharpe or Devillebiss gun but I do have a harbor freight pro HVLP gun and it works well.. If you have a low volume air compressor go with the HVLP as it takes less air.. And practice with the gun before you shoot paint and it should come out good..

Also you may want to go to your local auto body supply store and buy a good resperator that has charcoal filters.. Todays paint can be nasty stuff.. Take that from this lung cancer survivor and former painter..

All the spray guns I have sit right on top of the cans! (insert smiley face here_______)

Same here.

Old style:

Paint Can Handle_01.jpg

For some paint cans the nozzle is bigger so the newer style is required.

Paint Can Handle.jpg

Old style installed:

Paint Can Handle_02.jpg

I use the el-cheapo Hazzard Freight HVLP gun for $15-20. It works pretty good for the money.

I too have been using one of those for 8 years. It is ugly and actually starting to show wear in some areas, but still works great. It does no better than the special $400 paint gun I bought to paint my sailplane. Seems like about the only thing spending more $$$ gets you is potentially less overspray. The quality of the finish is 90% the prep work you do and how accurately you mixed the paint for the temperature at application time.

I use a "finish gravity spray gun" I bought at Lowes. It is smaller, and works fine for me for around $40 bucks. Rattle cans are ok until they start spitting gobs of paint and make a mess of a pretty paint job! :yikes:

Finally ready to paint the tower and hood. I have a HVLP from Eastwood. What is the mix ratio of paint to hardener?
Temperature, SE PA 60-70 deg, hopefully.
Thanks

Mix ratios depend on brand and type of paint... Google the paint manufacturer and type of paint.... and you should find the mix ratio.

Yes, check the can.. Enamel is usually 3 parts paint to 1 part reducer.. And if you are adding hardner don't spray it unless you are in a well ventilated area and use a charcoal filter resperator...

Hardener is more for people who have the proper PPE like people who do it for a living use.. Myself I use a HVLP gun to keep the airborne spray to a minimum also wear painting coveralls and latex gloves as well as a respirator..And if you are spraying in a area without constant airflow like a paint booth you should use a air supplied respirator..

Back