• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

speed control

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wh cc guy

IHCC Supporter
Just finished reworking my 129 and mowed the first time today. Everything seams to be working OK except the speed control. I can adjust the rpm around 3000 to turn the blades and start to mow. I can adjust the forward speed to the point I want it to be. Turn loose of the handle and the speed of the tractor starts to increase and gets so fast you have to hold on.
What I am trying to find out is there a friction control or some way to tighten the linkage to the hydrostatic drive so it will stay at the speed you have selected.

you could get a decent view of the function of your tractor by looking through the operators manual and parts book

Here's a link to the service manual that covers the 129. The section that covers the speed control adjustments starts on page 78. Please note that there was a change in the design during the production run so you will want to follow the section that covers your 129 based on the serial number.

Service Manual

Tried to tighten the friction collar for the handle and found out it was adjusted as far as it could be. Looks like you have to remove the complete handle and rod assembly to repair it. Don't know if the parts are available and what is the best way to remove it. Any one else have this problem and how did you fix it?

I seem to recall that there was some issue with that early style, (was on this forum around 15 years or more ago...) it might have been that the clamp cracks or breaks. Can you see it good enough to see if it is cracked? If you can't see it directly, perhaps try to get a photo of it from underneath. If you end up needing to remove the handle, after you get the set screw out, tap it down to break it free, then try to pry it up. The splines tend to seize up pretty tight on those.

Looks like the friction screw is adjusted as tight as it can be so I will try to remove the handle.
Removed the set screw without any problem and then tried to pull handle up. Couldn't get it to move so tapped it down with a hammer. Would not move so I put a pry bar under it and gently tapped it with a hammer while prying up. No luck so I drilled down thru the middle of the handle to the shaft and put oil in the hole. Let it set for a while and still no luck. I think I will have to cut it off with a grinder and try to find a replacement handle.
While I was deciding how to get the handle off I would try to tighten the friction ring one more time. It just needs a little bit more and it may be just enough to use. First thing the screw pulled into. I think I will get a socket head cap screw 10-32 to replace it . They are at least grade 5 or better. It may be strong enough to work for a little while. CIMG5407.JPG

You can try to make it tighten more if you remove the nut and bolt, then spread the clamp apart. Then you can file it wider to clamp it tighter.

Unless I'm looking at something wrong isn't that the style that has the round plastic friction bushing on the rod that the clamp tightens around ? I've found them completely gone and no matter how tight you tighten the clamp the speed control lever will not hold position until the bushing is replaced ?

It may have a plastic bushing. I haven't been able to get the handle off so I can remove the rod. Still trying to decide what to do next.
If you loosen the clamp doesn't it let you pull the rod out of the clamp ? It's been a few years since I replaced the bushing but I think I was able to pull up on the control handle to lift it up enough to change the bushing ? I've already had to drill and tap the center of the control handle and put a jack screw in to push the handle off the splines, then put some anti seize on the splines when reassembling ,cutting would be a last resort ! also be careful of your dash when prying on that control handle, they break real easy !

It may have a plastic bushing. I haven't been able to get the handle off so I can remove the rod. Still trying to decide what to do next.

Yes, you have the old original style that has the plastic bushing. I worked over a couple of those with the same issue and when I loosened the clamp and tried to spread the clamp open they always cracked, and I ended up buying the updated replacement version. Not sure why IH used what seem to be cast iron for a clamp - always thought that was an engineering mistake.

Where can I get the updated version? If I can't get one I will have to replace some if not all of what I have now. This has been a nightmare to get apart. Don't want to do it again.
This is what I have now.

Attachments

• CIMG5411.JPG
    CIMG5411.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 199
  • CIMG5418.JPG
    CIMG5418.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 191
  • CIMG5421.JPG
    CIMG5421.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 208
  • CIMG5427.JPG
    CIMG5427.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 203
How do the splines on the shaft look where you drilled the control handle off?

If the clamp isn't cracked, maybe take a wafer wheel and remove a little of the surface so it clamps tight, replace the bushing, install a socket head cap screw like you said and go with it, likely will never have to touch it again, the original set up lasted 50 years ? I've never had a problem after replacing the bushing, but I did forget about the E clip on the rod though !!! but likely someone on the sight would have the part to do the upgrade if desired !!

Man, I thought the damage on the speed control for my 107 was bad. I had to drill out the side of my handle to get a stuck set screw out so I could get it off. The splines were mostly gone on it. Ended up filling the hole with JB weld and re-drilling it for a new screw, turned out pretty good and you can't really see the damage. But wow, that must've been really stuck on there! I probably could've just JB welded the thing together permanently but, I want to be able to remove it again if/when needed. My parts 105's lever is glued on there, no clue how I would ever get it off! If you can, definitely do everything in your power to make sure its easy to remove if you ever need to.

I am waiting to find out that Digger stocks those friction bushings as my 149 is the same design . making a steel clamp is no problem .

Back