• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

spark plug hole in head ... moved?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinpittman

displayname
Justin
Where is the hole supposed to be for the spark plug in a K301 head? Above the exhaust valve? or in-between the exhaust & fuel valves?

It appears to have moved between K301A vs K301AS. See the photo. LEFT side = new, RIGHT side = original. Notice the hole shifted towards the exhaust valve.

Why did I even bother with a new head? Because when I went to change spark plugs, I found the hole threads stripped, and the hole had already been re-bored once before.

When I searched for differences between K301A vs K301AS before purchasing this new head, the only thing I found was the oil pan had changed ...

Attachments

• IMG_20201112_144104_3.jpg
    IMG_20201112_144104_3.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 236
P.S. now that I search more thoroughly, I've found a thorough write-up on the evolution of these cylinder heads, and whoever wrote it up is biased on pulling but still said it should be OK to swap-out:

" NOTE: The fourth generation head will interchange on the K241/M10, K301/M12 and K321/M14 engines. It doesn't matter about the spark plug location, except for pulling purposes. For pulling, it's best to have the spark plug directly over the exhaust valve. The only exception is the very early K241 "LP" head. It has a smaller combustion chamber which will allow the engine to have a higher compression ratio, and shouldn't be used on the K301/M12 and K321/M14 engines for general yard work. It should be used for pulling purposes only using high octane gas, E-85 or methanol fuel. The reason for this is because the compression will be so high, the engine will run too hot for low octane gas, and severe damage to the engine may result. "

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/cylhead.htm

Dont forget you will need the matching tinwork or to make a new hole in the top tin for the spark plug at the new location

Proper engine design practice is to locate the spark plug over the hottest area of the combustion chamber - in the case of an L-head engine (flat head), this is directly over the exhaust valve. This allows the advancing flame front to propagate toward the cooler parts of the chamber after ignition, thereby reducing the tendency to detonate.

Back