• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Solenoid

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennisirwin

My IH Cub Cadet just clicks when I try to start it. I replaced the battery and it still does the same thing. I’m thinking it is a bad solenoid. What solenoid does it need?

Have you bypassed the solenoid to confirm that is the issue?
I do not mind spending money on parts I need BUT I want them to be needed parts and resolve the issue

Dennis, easy test ..run a jumper from pos. on batt and touch the starter post marked either A or S or not marked ..Do not touch post marked with F,that goes to reg and has nothing to do with starting..Now, if your s/g turns over you know it's working and your solenoid is not.Any auto parts can have a solenoid..tie your wires together when you remove sol. so they go back correct..I have 3 sol that "click" but do not work.Going to cut one in half for show and tell..

Dennis, easy test ..run a jumper from pos. on batt and touch the starter post marked either A or S or not marked ..Do not touch post marked with F,that goes to reg and has nothing to do with starting..Now, if your s/g turns over you know it's working and your solenoid is not.Any auto parts can have a solenoid..tie your wires together when you remove sol. so they go back correct..I have 3 sol that "click" but do not work.Going to cut one in half for show and tell..
Thanks, I'll try that.

Look at the solenoid. Find the two big nuts with heavy gauge wire on them. One big stud should come direct from battery (it will always have 12V on it). Test light or volt meter will confirm that. Now turn the key to Crank engine..
When you hear the click (indicating the solenoid engaged) check the other large wire.. That should be sending 12V to the Starter. Many times the solenoid will switch closed (the clicking sound) but carbon from arching closed will prevent the contacts inside the solenoid to send strong amperage to the Starter.

Make sure these connections, among all others are clean, bright and tight.
Therein may lie your problem.
Battery ground comes to mind here as well as starter ground.

The Solenoid works on the basis of "case or chassis" ground to complete the 12V start circuit. You may simply have a dirty ground connection at the solenoid. AS A TEST..... Run a jumper wire from the Battery negative (-) terminal to the Solenoid case. Does it work now when you try to start it ??

Back