• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Snow removal tractor input

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hydro, the welded on skids in my photo are centered so they will limit how low they can be set, but I prefer them that way. If you have a paved driveway another option is to add wheels.

Here's your 3 photos:

244312.jpg

244313.jpg

244314.jpg

Kraig - Oh Great One, Keeper of the Photos - there is no one better. Your files are wonderful, and thanks for the note on the skidders. I forgot about the possibility of wheels to.

Bill J - yes that 1450 was my 1st and my No. 1 machine. It's how I got started with this hobby (obsession). And for the benefit of all that review the pics, that was a late March snow storm in CT with extremely heavy snow. The QA42A still handled it well throwing it at least 10 feet. And I did make my cut a little wide so you can see a trail starting to develop on my turn around run.

I think for winter I will keep my turfs with chains but what are others excperience with loaded ags?

Well, got a surprise this morning when I came to work. An older guy who drives for the company I work at left me a power window motor in my mailbox. Awefully nice of him to do that! Now I just need to go back through the pictures & info to properly attach it to the Q42A I snagged a few weeks ago. Will have to fab up a mounting plate for it, but thats minor at this point.
animatedihbear.gif

JEFF B. - Any tire combination that doesn't include chains on a hard surface will be disappointing.

More weight on any combination will be better than no added weight, especially with a heavy snow thrower on the frt. Fluid, wheel weights, ballast of ANY kind on the back is needed to play in snow.

SON tried cleaning 3-4 inches of wet snow off the driveway about 5-6 yrs ago with my Farmall Super H & the bucket on the loader. I hadn't put the chains on yet. He couldn't even get the tractor to crawl up the slope of the driveway. I took the two hours to put the chains on, the half hour to swap the bucket for the blade, and I could PUSH a blade full of snow right up the slope and across the road. I can push snow O-K without chains on crushed rock or grass, but eventually you'll spin out. And once the ground is froze, when you spin a tire for a second, you're stuck.

I had skid plates welded also on the bottom adjusting plates. I found it works better in gravel driveways also. I am thankful for my concrete driveway though...seeing these pictures im getting sorta excited for snow to come our way this year
happy.gif

I use ATV tires with GREAT success. Lower pressure more traction. I'm not even using tire chains.

How about a blast from the past:

Begin Quote>>
By Brian Abrams (Babrams) on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 09:40 am:
All this talk of blowin snow takes me back to 1969.
When we had a 125? 12hp hydro anyway. The only he-man way to blow snow is without a cab! Ah the feeling when you blow that powder with a head wind comin at ya! ice cream headache yee hah!.

As for traction in the snow....skinny tires = more psi on the ground. And when we first got our tractor in 1969, we took the tires/wheels off and went to the Firestone store. There they broke the bead off of one side and shoveled in 100lbs or more of POWDERED LEAD. It was like pink flour.
No masks on the shoveler of course. And everytime you checked air pressure in the future, you got a puff of lead dust in your face. I bet you can't get that stuff any more thats to the EPA.
Ah the memories.
<< End Quote

I am sure we can get you a good deal on some Jeremiah!
bannana_guitar.gif

Min. Order: 5 Tons
FOB Price: US $700-1200 / Ton
lead monoxide,red lead,anticorrosion pigment
colour:red/pink
packing:25kgs...

popcorn1.gif
How many Ton you want! You must know someone who has a tire or two to fill? Will even throw in a case of dust masks!

Sure sign winter is on its way sooner than we want. Had frost here on Saturday night.
jawdrop.gif

Calling for like 2 or 3 degrees here tomorrow night. Think its time to get the wood box filled up. Might even have to bring in the brass monkey off the porch too!

Mike - you better leave the brass monkey out where he is and spend your time getting all thru that thrower. It's getting close and I sure don't want to hear you ordered a bearing, but the mailman can't deliver cause you didn't clear your driveway, and you can't clear your drive cause you need the bearing - so the least you could do is sit there and take pot shots at the brass monkey.

Well hopefully my thrower will be back together before the snow flies...the way the temps are getting I better work faster.Lots of monkeying around in here...hmmmm...lol

You da man, Mike! I'm like Brian, I never would have thought that stuff was still available! Maybe we can talk Charlie into stocking it to fill our tires with.
animatedihbear.gif

Guys- I have a crazy question for you. I've just picked up a well-used 450 blower to install on my 682 Cubbie when I have it finished. With the weight of that blower and the continual posts on the forum about the inadequate lift system, I had an idea
1a_scratchhead.gif
. Has anyone retrofitted an electric winch to lift and lower a blower or thrower here on the forum? I know, it sounds kinda fisher-price but hear me out. If the correct location was chosen so as not to ruin the overall originality of a given machine. And it would have to be removable for summer use because I intend to use it for many things throughout the summer months. If the winch is compact enough and yet powerful enough, the blower could be lifted/lowered with the flick of a switch. Am I looking at this side ways? Are there potential problems here that I am not thinking of. Any and all input appreciated. ATV's many times use one to raise and lower their blades...
dunno.gif

joshua donald stertz

the lift system on a 450 has very little lift. I don`t think any more lift can be found because of the belt to the pto on the tractor.You will find if the 450 is lifted near it`s max the pto will disengage every time the blower is lifted. I adjusted out all the slack for the lift system and found I could only get about 5" . I hope others have more input for you

Looks like the snow found us here in Missouri. Good thing I have a big farmall tractor with a blade, because the cub is sitting in the garage about 10 feet from the engine and the snow thrower is out in the field. Haven't had time to work on it. We don't get much snow here so I'm usually not ready when we do.

Back