• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Snow removal tractor input

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, I'll 2nd the speed & feed concept for throwing /blowing...getting enough speed to make the govenor kick in then your at the Sweet Spot with a Smile on your face & don't want to lose that perfect combination of speed & feed; of course with a Diesel & hydro! I crack the hood about a finger width open & heat flows in to keep windbreaker comfortable & U out of the wind & flying snow. I keep finger saver in cab (broom handle with piece of wood/rubber on one end )to clean out housing if I get to be too much of a speed demon & plug it up. I also added a 2x6 atop of the front on my QA42a to help with bigger drifts. Aaron (Extreme Motorworks) makes a nice metal extension ,I've been pondering.If the snow gets too wet,& I must clean off drive, I just use QA42a without PTO on & it becomes snow & slush pusher.
Shift.gif
I've also swapped for a speedup pulley ...
1AA_dance2.gif

Hadn't thought of that angle Tom... I don't know anyone with either so I guess I'll have to sand/grind mine by hand..
feint.gif

Yes, Paul.. hitting that sweet spot makes the chore worth doing! imho..
1AA_dance2.gif

I don't have a house or cab over mine so I just bundle up, and I haven't plugged mine bad enough to need a stick.. but I'm probably doomed now that we've spoken about it!
happy.gif
Murphy's law ya know...

Blowin snow is a great way to pass the winter time!! We started out years a go with 1 gear drive tractor and a blade, after that, move up to a thrower, blading snow make for far more work and its hard on me and equipment,

Later Caleb picked up a 1650 that required lots of work to get running and then we found a QA 42 for it, with the 16hp it was by far a throwin machine compaired to my 10hp, but my gear drive keeps up well,and with two running in tandam at 84' a swath you can move lots of white stuff,

Keeping warm and the snow off, you have to get creative, I built my cab completily from scratch,with no plans and all of the idea from my head, Calebs cab came from a person he worked with and we retro fit it to fit his quiet line, I had one guy said it looked like the popemobile!!

These two have seen a lot of work and have been a big part of keeping the neighbor hood cleaned up
243210.jpg

Mick, does the lower front portion, the angled area just below the windshield, of your home built cab flip up to allow the hood to open? Any chance you could post some detail photos of those cabs?
dunno.gif
Please?
happy.gif
happy.gif

Under edit: Mick, I found some photos you posted.

Mick's Cab details

Here's my take on moving snow.

It's nice to have two tractors for snow duty. One tractor with higher hp and a snow blower. The other one with a front blade.

My experience is with late model Wheelhorse tractors, not IH Cub Cadet, though I have a front blade that came with my 109 which I am anxious to try.

For the blower, I think hydro (or electric lift) is important. Lifting a front blade with manual lift isn't to bad. I've always had to go slow on the ground speed with my blower, but it get's the job done nicely.

243293.jpg

With a blade, it's handy to be able to change the angle from the seat. Looking at the blade with my 109, I don't think it's possible. With my WH tractor, the blade has a manual angle adjustment from the seat - nice. I find a blade moves snow quickly - much faster than a blower.

Foot control hydro with hydro lift would be ideal - but also modern and I guess not something available with these old iron tractors. Part of the problem with using a hand controlled hydro for speed and lift (manual or hydro) is you got only two hands, but two levers and a steering wheel to keep-up with.

To me, the nearest thing to a modern foot control hydro machine, is a gear drive. You can manage the ground speed, starting/stopping and steer/lift the blade or blower easily. If you could have a gear drive tractor with electric or hydro lift, IMHO, that would be a terrific combo for snow removal.

Sooo, I would recommend a higher hp, gear drive tractor with electric or hydro lift for snow blowing chores and a gear drive tractor with manual lift for snow blade.

Good luck!

So I have found, what seems to be, a very good condition QA 42A blower that came off a Cub 1000. The guy is asking $225.00 for it. Its a little higher than I wanted to spend, but I always looked at it from the stand point, if it was taken care of, and you need/want it - buy it. That being said, think its over priced?
243402.jpg

243403.jpg

243404.jpg

Only think I am questioning. Can you move the "crank assembly" from the right side to the left side of the blower and still have it work, or is there too much fabricating that needs to be done? Reason - IF I was to buy the Sims cab I found, there is already a slot on the left side for the chute control handle. ALSO, if this can mount on an 82 series tractor like I plan to - its on the correct side for the hydro lever so I can use both hands to run the controls and perhaps the cat to steer the tractor?
crazy.gif

It looks like a good unit and the price seems fair. I'd buy it if I was looking! If I was going to do some fab work. I'd convert it to an electric drive setup as others have done.

Mike, that looks like it's hardly been used. The auger flights are in near new condition. Sorry to say it won't quite fit onto an 82 series Cub. It would however fit with the change out of the two upper links from the straight style to the curved style to allow for clearance for the lower grill casting. Also you'll need to change the drive pulley from a 3/8" to a 5/8".

Here's a photo of Steve Blunier's QA36B with the curved upper links (Please note that Steve purposefully installed them upside down):

243406.jpg

Kraig,
What was Steve's resoning behind flipping the upper linkage over - down presure on the cutting edge? These two "arms" NLA from Cub Cadet I am sure? This is because of the slant on the front grills? You have a picture of the way they are "suposed" to be installed? Or better yet - measurements to make two!
1a_scratchhead.gif

Other than the upper linkage - this should fit onto the 82 series okay? Yep, understand the belt/pully thing. Had to do that with the 2B tiller I bought. I'd have to agree, it looks to be in pretty decent shape for the most part. Unless the bottom is rusted out, but I think we'd see grass growing up around the auger if that was the case?

Mike, I recall Steve posting once that it was easier to install on a wide frame with them upside down. They should be easy to make. I thought I had a template for them but I've not been able to find it. I bet we can get someone to trace theirs and take some dimensions.

Steve B., any chance you still have your QA36B? If so can you provide the info to make a set of curved upper links?

Under Edit:Never mind, I found it!!! Click: <blink>---></blink> HERE then scroll about half way down.

To make it easier, I saved the drawing and added the missing dimension (though I believe that dimension is the same as on the straight version...) and here it is:

243409.jpg

Good to know Charlie! I like it, less work for me in getting them fabricated here.

Will let you know how I make out on this purchase. Anything else I should be looking for if I was to pick this puppy up? Make sure things turn correctly and freely, no play in the shafts and auger.
1a_scratchhead.gif
Anything else?

The way it looks, I can't imagine there be to much wrong with it.
Check the sprocket/chain adjuster and the bearings in it, along with the drive shaft U-joints and you should be good to go IMHO.

Charlie, I thought about looking to see if anyone sold them but was too focused on finding a drawing that I thought I had seen...
bash.gif

Can someone please post up some pic's of a QA42A and/or QA42B and maye elaborate on the differences so I can get a better idea af what I need to be looking for?? Would these be 2 stage blowers?

Thanks!

Dave S.

David S., first off the QA42A and QA42B are single stage snowthrowers.

243437.jpg

243438.jpg

243439.jpg

For photos of a QA42A and a QA36B click on the archived page, link above. The differences between the QAxxA and the QAxxB are, the QAxxA uses straight upper links and a 3/8" drive pulley. The QAxxB uses curved upper links to clear the lower grill casting on the 82 series Cub Cadets, and they have a 5/8" drive pulley to match the 5/8" PTO pulley used on the 82 series Cub Cadets. Now a little history. Note that very few QA42B units were built as the QAxxB series were introduced for use on the 82 series Cub Cadets just before a new version of snowthrower for the 82 series, the H series snowthrowers were introduced. The H series came in 42" and 48" versions.

243440.jpg

243441.jpg

Is this a great group/thread or what!!!!
Thanks for the speedy reply!
Now I have a better idea of just what to look for/at!!

Preciate it Folks!!!

Dave S.

Dave, I agree!

Kraig & Charlie,
Very much appreciate the input on this topic, I know to most its repetative and boring. I thank you. Great info about the "H" blowers - did not know or do not think I had seen one before! Have almost made the deal on the blower, if all works out, will be able to have it in my garage next week sometime.
1AA_dance2.gif

Have made the deal and have in my possesion the cab I was looking at. Sims Cab that is in decent shape for its age.

Will have to get some pictures when I get it installed. Blue rotating light, tail lights and electric winshield wiper included in the deal. Now I just have to brush up on installation details thanks to Matt's website. Hopefully there will not have to be too many alterations needed to make it fit on.

Anyone know if you can change the side the chute rotator is mounted on a QA42A blower? My cab has a slot in the left side, not the right side.
1a_scratchhead.gif

OR...

What about this converting it to electric chute rotation? What all is involved in that one, is there a kit available from our sponsors?

Back