• FIRST AND LAST NAMES ARE REQUIRED WHEN REGISTERING

Snow blade foot adjuster

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

jkoenig

displayname
Jim Koenig Halfway between Harvester, MO and Cadet, MO
My tired, rusty old snow blade that cleared the neighborhood the last storm has lost the threads inside of one adjuster. Should I just grind that one off, and weld a nut on? As a temporary fix, I just threaded an extra nut onto the shoe, and sandwiched the adjuster with one nut above, and the other below.

Are there extra (tall) thread nuts? I know some jam nuts are extra thin. I would like as much thread contact as I can get even though I assume this fix will outlive me considering how long the original lasted.

I am considering having my welder son add two nuts, and then grind half of one back off to get extra threads.

Whaddya think?

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
My tired, rusty old snow blade that cleared the neighborhood the last storm has lost the threads inside of one adjuster. Should I just grind that one off, and weld a nut on? As a temporary fix, I just threaded an extra nut onto the shoe, and sandwiched the adjuster with one nut above, and the other below.

Are there extra (tall) thread nuts? I know some jam nuts are extra thin. I would like as much thread contact as I can get even though I assume this fix will outlive me considering how long the original lasted.

I am considering having my welder son add two nuts, and then grind half of one back off to get extra threads.

Whaddya think?
1644680887188.png

1811Cub

You can weld the hole, then drill and tap to 1/2-13, or double nut the snow skid shoe as is the official term for the part. A new skid shoe is part number 703-0650-0637.

jkoenig

displayname
Thanks to both of you.

I have had my eye on a new pair of shoes from Digger since I got this blade, just want to get it all in good working order.

Is there a good way to avoid future rust? Anti-seize, graphite paint, 90 weight ???

1811Cub

Clean all rust and old flaky paint off the face either by sanding, or sandblast. Use a high quality self etching primer, then topcoat with a hardened (catalyzed) gloss paint to the color of your liking. For future rust prevention, I personally use Fluid Film sprayed liberally on all painted surfaces. Plows are hard to keep nice, especially on gravel and dirt.

Robert Shingle

IHCC Supporter
JKoenig, there are coupling nuts that you can buy at tractor supply or a hardware store. They are 2-3 as long as a standard nut.
I purchased a pair of skid shoes from Digger at the end of last years plowing season. Used them once this year, good quality. Painted them Cub white, put little never seize on the threads, good to go.

jkoenig

displayname
Thanks for the coupling nut idea Robert, and the product review. Good to know the parts I expect to be of good quality actually are...there was never any doubt.

CӞ.

IHCC Supporter
displayname
I put a rubber wear strip on my snow blade and have never been happier with how it squeegees the snow off the pavement while being gentle to the pavement too.
1658890850171.jpeg

jkoenig

displayname
Chris,

Thanks for the tip. That's great to hear that it works as well as I hoped it would. I plan to do the same one day.

awoloch

displayname
Anthony N. Woloch
Thank you Chris for providing great information, photo, and link for the replaceable rubber wear strip kit for your blade! That looks like a winner.

dlamoureux

displayname
David Lamoureux
ChrisClaussen, What size rubber strip did you end up using - 4" or 5 1/2"?

Last edited:

mgwin

displayname
Marty A. Gwin
Now what good is that strip gonna do on my gravel drive? :roflol: Looks like a good idea for hard driveways.